How do I add shares to my investment acount

Stefan

10 Nov, 2021 02:54 PM

I am new to Moneydance and setting up my investment account. I am trying to add shares (securities) to the investment account. How do add the number of shares that I purchased in the past at historical prices?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 10 Nov, 2021 03:55 PM

Hi Stefan,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Adding a security to an investment account simply makes that security available for use within that investment account. Technically adding a security to an investment account creates a sub account in the investment account priced in that security as a place to hold the number of shares in that security you own.

After you add a security to an investment account you need to enter a buy transaction to increase the number of shares you own. Go into the investment register and click the new transaction button. Set the type of the transaction to Buy.

This will reduce the amount of cash in the investment account to pay for the buy. If you are simply wanting to reflect preexisting holdings you can set the initial cash balance of the investment account to cover these buys. To do this go into the investment account and select Edit Account from the Account menu.

Finally, it might be useful referring you to this article of the Knowledge Base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 09 Feb, 2022 04:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac