Entering new investment

Robbie

06 Jan, 2022 01:29 PM

I am trying to create a new investment but I am struggling to enter the detail.
I have created the security, named it and added the ticker. So far so good.
Now I enter the inputting page as per pdf attached. Where do I enter the number of shares and the price paid? I thought that I had done this but cash balance shows as negative value and the values shows up as £0 on the summary column on the left of the 'home' page.
Help please!
PS I have just paid for and updated to the latest Mac version (2022.2). I cannot see any changes from previous 2017 version. What am I missing?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Jan, 2022 02:20 PM

On that screen, top right, click actions, ADD SECURITY and add the security to the account..

Then you can enter a new txn as a BUY...

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Jan, 2022 02:33 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Robbie

When you purchase a security the money has to come from somewhere.

You have used the Action Buy which means the money is taken from the investment Account Bank register, the Bank Register tab. Note if you have a Bank Account associated with the investment Account and it has an Initial Balance highlight the Investment Account in the list on the left and click ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT to add the Initial Balance.

The other way to fund a purchase is the Action BuyXfr which transfer the money from another account which you select in the Transfer field.

Hope this helps

3. 3 Posted by Robbie Wolfson on 06 Jan, 2022 02:37 PM

Hi Stuart.

You still haven’t explained why it shows as a negative number in the transaction or is that why buy shows up as an expense?
    But this column shows two figures which cancel out. Why?

Also you didn’t answer my last question:
    PS I have just paid for and updated to the latest Mac version (2022.2). I cannot see any changes from previous 2017 version. What am I missing?

Thanks

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Jan, 2022 03:46 PM

Hi Robbie

Take another read of my post at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/6474-ent...
    In the transaction you used the Action Buy which funds the purchase by taking funds from the associated Investment Bank Account. If that account had a zero balance before the purchase then it would result in a negative balance equal to the cost of the purchase. Read by last post again.
    You see the changes from 2017 to 2020 read the blog at https://infinitekind.com/blog
    In addition for resent preview build see change log at https://infinitekind.com/previewdl/current/changelog.txt

Hope this helps

5. 5 Posted by Robbie Wolfson on 06 Jan, 2022 07:30 PM

Sent from my iPhone

6. 6 Posted by Robbie Wolfson on 06 Jan, 2022 07:36 PM

I think I understand the investment situation. Complication was it was funded from outside Moneydance.
    I still have a question on how how to find syncs in iCloud?

Sent from my iPhone

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Jan, 2022 08:38 PM

Hi Robbie

It sounds like you need to set an Initial Balance in your Investment Bank account.

I use a free Dropbox account as I sync between a number of computers Windows, Linux and phones and ever if I had a Mac I would still have to use Dropbox as iCloud sync can only sync with other Mac computer, but not iOS devices.
    See these article covering syncing at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data

Hope this helps.

8. System closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2022 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac