how do I enter beginning shares balances?

Geza Soos

13 Mar, 2016 04:38 PM

I'm a newbie, trying to get Moneydance to agree with Quicken. I have spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to enter security shares balances, to no avail. Also, the QIF import for Reinvested Dividends does not pick up shares, and I was unable to edit them.
  How do I enter beginning shares balances, and how do I increase shares for reinvested dividends?
  Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 14 Mar, 2016 04:22 PM

1. Add the security to your investment account by clicking the action button on the top right on the register and selecting add security
    2. Using your last statement, use a buy transaction for your current holdings using the cost basis as the total.
    3. Repeat for each security you own
    4. This will create a negative cash balance. From the toolbar select account > edit account. In the edit account window their is a field for initial balance. Enter the total negative cash balance plus your current cash balance to reconcile the cash holding.

When you import the qif, the divreinvest transactions should only increase share count based on that transaction. Some brokers send both a dividend and a dividend reinvest transaction. It is best to just delete the dividend transactions since the divreinvest transaction contains the dividend.

If your divreinvest is not adding shares can you please send a screen shot of the register containing the transaction.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 27 Mar, 2016 03:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac