Problem adding new security

Michael

24 May, 2016 10:47 PM

Moneydance 2015.7 on Windows 10.

I open the investment account register, go to Actions, Add Security, click New Security and enter the Id, Name and Symbol. Nothing changes. The new security never shows up in the dropdown list anywhere. And when the transaction for this new security tries to download, the matching options do not include the new security. Choosing "none of the above" when MD attempts to match never leads to anything - the transaction just never appears at all.

Tried Tools->Securities and clicking the + symbol. Get the same dialog box to add the security, enter everything and still nothing happens. MD never shows the newly added security anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

semi-related question: how to do I get rid of securities I no longer want in the dropdown list (and have no transactions against them)? I open Tools->Securities, click the - button and MD goes "ding", but no the security never disappears from the list.

1. 1 Posted by Bob Jones on 04 Aug, 2016 01:19 PM

Me too, going round and round in circles trying to add securities, exactly as above

2. 2 Posted by Michael on 04 Aug, 2016 01:33 PM

I forgot to come back and update that reinstalling with the 32-bit install fixed these problems. I'm on 64-bit Win10, but the 64-bit MD was definitely buggy.

3. 3 Posted by Robert Jones on 04 Aug, 2016 02:46 PM

As a novice, I am cautious about reinstalling the programme unless I can be sure to
    Be able to restore data for a backup. Any advice on this?
    Many thanks
    Bob Jones
    Sent from my iPad

4. 4 Posted by Michael on 04 Aug, 2016 03:05 PM

Fortunately I was still testing MD, so I didn't have to deal with data backup issues. I'm not an expert, but I see no reason the Backup/Restore functions wouldn't work. It's even possible that just uninstalling/reinstalling won't touch the data at all, since it's generally stored in a separate directory from the program itself.

If it were me, I would install the 32-bit version on a 2nd computer and import the data from the current computer into it. Then test everything on the 2nd system. Assuming all is good, do the uninstall/reinstall on the current system and go from there.

It's always a good idea to test your backup/restore procedures every so often anyway. Make sure you're storing copies on more than your primary system.

5. 5 Posted by Tom Freeman on 09 Aug, 2016 07:41 PM

When you use the add security function from the investment register, and click new security, fill out the info then click ok, the security should be in your drop down menu.

Are you scrolling through the entire list, sometime depending on alphabetizing the security will show at the bottom.

The best way to remove securities is to remove them form the investment account they are linked too from the securities detail window.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

6. System closed this discussion on 08 Nov, 2016 07:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac