switching from Dropbox and using both MacOs and Ios

roy.lowrance

13 Jun, 2019 07:30 PM

I presently store my moneydance files in Dropbox and have relied on Dropbox to sync the files across device.

I'd like to use the IOS moneydance app to enter transactions while I'm on the go.

When I start MoneyDance on MacOS, I'm prompted to move my files out of dropbox.

I'm confused on what to do.

What steps should I take to conform to your best practices and be able to access my moneydance files on a variety of MacOS and IOS devices?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jun, 2019 09:20 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

If you are running 2017 or 2019 YOU MUST NOT store your data set in Dropbox.
    Your data set MUST BE STORED on your hard drive.
    You should sync your data between computers and mobile devices using Moneydances inbuilt syncing engine, see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data

You should run the same version and build on all your computers. Make sure you are running the latest build of the version of Moneydance you are running.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 13 Jun, 2019 09:57 PM

I'm a fellow user.

To add to Derek's response. Storing you data in Dropbox to fasciltate sharing across multiple desktop/notebook type devices was tentively supported in Moneydance 2015 and earlier provided certain conditions were met.

Moneydance 2017 saw the introduction of syncing capability between desktop/notebook devices and the changes to facilitate this means that storing your data files in Dropbox is potentially dangerous and could result in data corruption even when not syncing. The design of Moneydance 2017 and later is based on each system having a local copy of the data that it maintains based on the data that is shared between the systems, Dropbox is often used for this sharing. The data that is on Dropbox now is not something that you now directly use, it is there for the Moneydance software to make use of.

3. 3 Posted by roy.lowrance on 13 Jun, 2019 10:36 PM

Here's an update. I still need help.

On my MacOS system, I changed the sync to use Dropbox and move the file to
    what seems to be the default location in the Library.

One IOS, I installed the Moneydance app and asked it to sync. It connected
    to my Dropbox account. I'm stuck with a spinning circle on an IOS screen
    that read "Sync Options". It's asking me to select the file to sync.

What do I do now?

= Roy

Roy Lowrance
    tel: +1 347 255 2544

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jun, 2019 07:12 AM

Hi Roy

If you are running Moneydance 2017 ensure you are running this build https://infinitekind.com/download_2017
    If you are running Moneydance 2019 ensure you are running this build https://infinitekind.com/preview

The best way forward is to Reset Syncing.

1. Start Moneydance to open your data set.

2. Set Moneydance’s “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING, then click OK.. If your mobile device is more up to date than your computer manually enter the transactions from your mobile device into your computer before under setting on your mobile device clicking disconnect.

3. Use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.

4. Then shut down Moneydance. If you are using Dropbox as the backup location wait till the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.

5. Using your computer, in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

6. Open Moneydance on your computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.

7. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”.

8. Set up syncing to your mobile devices following this article. https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/sync... the article applies to both Moneydance 2017 and 2019.

Wait for your data to be synced.

If in any step you don’t get things how I describe, detail what you are seeing, including screen shots.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jun, 2019 08:41 PM

Hi Roy

Sorry I missed a bit in step 2. it should have read.

1. Set Moneydance’s “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING, then click OK. If your mobile device is more up to date than your computer manually enter the transactions from your mobile device into your computer before under setting on your mobile device clicking disconnect.

I have edited the last post.

6. 6 Posted by roy.lowrance on 14 Jun, 2019 09:11 PM

I found a fix, which was to close dropbox on the iPad and reopen it. I was
    prompted for the sync key that was known to the desktop instance.

Thanks for your help derekkent23!

7. System closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2019 09:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac