Don't Sync

phil.spressart

15 Jun, 2019 03:22 PM

Hey Peeps,

I'm using MoneyDance 2019.1.

At one time, about 3 years ago, I was using Sync between my desktop and my laptop. I had had some issues, mostly user error, and I disabled it. I'm looking to get it going again as I'm going to be traveling a lot. Here's my issue: when I go to File -> Syncing it shows "Don't Sync" for Sync Method and I can't change it. How do I change it?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jun, 2019 06:30 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I would suggest updating to 2019.3(1880) at https://infinitekind.com/preview

When you sync between computers you have a primary computer, the computer you set up syncing using FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - SYNCING and one or more secondary computers, the ones you set up syncing using FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – NEW - OPEN SYNCED FILE.

A secondary data set is one in which you can’t’ change the syncing method, its grayed out. It looks like you have ended up with a secondary data set.

First do an EXPORT - BACKUP in case something goes Wrong.

To convert a secondary data set to a primary data set you need to run the attached script md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py in Moneydance 2019. Don’t worry it states 2017.

With your data set open click WINDOW - SHOW MONEYBOT CONSOLE use OPEN SCRIPT to select the script and click RUN. Wait for the script to complete its run, it can take a minute. Close and reopen Moneydance. You should now be able to change the syncing method.

With a secondary data set the syncing method is fixed, grayed out and cannot be change. You get the same result after restoring a secondary computer Moneydance backup. Make sure the auto backups for the primary and secondary computers are not set to use the same location if you are say using Dropbox.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by phil.spressart on 15 Jun, 2019 07:08 PM

Thanks for the help. I ran it twice after updating to 2019.3 but no go. You did give me an idea. I'll save the file, delete MoneyDance, reinstall, and go from there. Maybe a clean install with opening the file will work.

Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know if my plan works.

3. 3 Posted by sprimost on 15 Jun, 2019 07:56 PM

Just a user, not support

One thing you may want to check out is whether the fie you are attaching
    to when selecting from the android is actually the file that your
    primary computer is syncing to. Hint. look at mdsyncinfo.txt under the
    dropbox hidden file system directory.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jun, 2019 08:02 PM

Hi Phil

Strange.

Deleting Moneydance and reinstalling it is unlikely to help. The issue is with the data set if the syncing method can’t be changed.

I just ran the script on a secondary data set and it converted it into a primary data set.
    I also ran the script on a restored backup from a secondary data set, again it converted it into a primary data set.

Post a screen shot what you see under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - SYNCING

When you run the script what do you see in the MONEYBOT CONSOLE window post a screen shot.

5. 5 Posted by phil.spressart on 17 Jun, 2019 12:18 AM

Does it matter that I'm using a PC not a Mac?

I'm out for the next couple of days...I'll get back with screenshots.

Thanks for the help and direction.

Pax.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Jun, 2019 06:34 AM

Hi Phil

No it should not matter if you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
    In fact I use windows 10.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac