No Folders Found when trying to sync through Dropbox

Roger Hayne

27 Jun, 2019 07:49 PM

First I LOVE the MoneyDance app both for my android mobile device and my Windows 10 computer. I recently ran into an issue where the balance on my Android mobile device was not matching my desktop balance on one account. I figured the sync data was corrupted so tried "wiping" and starting over.

By "wiping" I mean that I first turned off syncing on the desktop, closed the desktop app (2019.3), and removed MoneyDance from the Android device (Galaxy Phone). I also deleted the .Moneydancesync folder from my Dropbox account. I then went back to the desktop app and turned on Dropbox Connection in syncing. I looked over your online help and documentation and notice reference to the option for a "Dropbox Folder" in addition to Dropbox Connect mentioned, though v. 2019.3 does not show a "Dropbox Folder" sync option (the option I would prefer). In any event I turned on Dropbox Connect and successfully connected to my Dropbox account and allowed MoneyDance access to that account. So far, so good.

I reinstalled MoneyDance on my Android device, using the Google Play Store. When I open the Android app it asks to link to a Dropbox account, and I press the "allow" button to allow access to my Dropbox account on the Android app. It then searches briefly and returns a "No folder found" message. At that point I cannot proceed further, and going back just returns me to the "no folder found" message.

Any suggestions?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jun, 2019 08:41 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am running 2019.3(1881) on a windows computer and am syncing to an Android phone using Dropbox Folder.
    I would expect to see Dropbox Folder listed as a syncing method provided you have Dropbox client installed in the default Location on you C drive. Can you confirm this is the case?
    Look for the folder “.moneydancesync” in your Dropbox folder on your C drive if you have Dropbox client installed or if not in your Dropbox folder in the cloud. The folder should contain another folder with an alphanumeric name. This folder contains other folders and files one of which is a text file mdsyncinfo.txt which if you open if in a notepad should include the name of your data set and the last time it was accessed.
    Let us know what you find so we can suggest a next step.

2. 2 Posted by Roger Hayne on 27 Jun, 2019 09:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I do find the name and last update time in that file.

The problem was on my mobile device (phone) end. What I did was remove and reinstall Dropbox on the phone. Waited a while till it synced back up, and then tried the mobile app once more. This time it found the right folder and now syncs correctly.

Let’s mark this one closed and thanks for the tips.

Roger

[email blocked]

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jun, 2019 09:31 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Glad syncing is know working.
    If I am reading you correctly you are saying you think the problem was due to a Dropbox Mobile app? The Moneydance app on your phone does not use the mobile Dropbox app The Moneydance app has a embedded Dropbox API which connect directly to you Dropbox cloud account. My Android phone does not have the mobile Dropbox app installed.

Have Fun

4. System closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2019 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac