New Android app not showing recent transactions

jeffcarp

26 Jul, 2019 01:55 AM

Anyone else using the new Android app and having a problem where none of your accounts show any current transactions? All of my accounts are missing transactions from the past year. For example, my checking account's latest transaction is July 2018 in the Android app.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Jul, 2019 07:07 AM

I am not support staff, jut a user.

What build of the Android Moneydance app are you running, 1.15 or 2.0(beta). What version of Android is your phone running?
    What version/build of Moneydance are you running on your computer e.g. 2019.4(1886).
    This information may help support.

2. 2 Posted by jeffcarp on 26 Jul, 2019 12:21 PM

I'm running 2019.4 (1886) on Windows. The Android app is the new beta 2.0 on Android 9.0.

This morning when I opened Moneydance Android (about the 4th time I've opened this version) it took a little longer to open, with the spinning wheel. When it finally opened I had more transactions in the account that I checked. Before I had through July 2018. Now I have into September 2018.

I'm on a 100Mbps broadband connection.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Jul, 2019 12:47 PM

OK you are trying out the new Android beta build 2.0
    There have been a number of versions of this build all defined as 2.0
    The only way to check if your version of the build is the latest is to go to Google Play Moneydance (Beta) and check the last update date, at time of post 25 Jul 2019. Not yet seen evidence that it updates automatically.
    In any event you are getting further than me, when I select the file to be synced and enter the password and click BEGIN SYNCING, I get the message SYNCING FAILED.
    I have made Sean the Moneydance software developer aware of the issue I am having and he is looking into it. In the latest version he has added extra logging when errors occur which will hopefully make its way back to his developer console so that I can check it out.
    In the meantime, if it a real problem for you revert back to build 1.15.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by jeffcarp on 26 Jul, 2019 01:18 PM

I'm just posting here in the spirit of helping them with a beta product by providing feedback. I expect it to have problems and don't really rely on it at this time.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Jul, 2019 01:25 PM

OK I will post a link to this thread to make sure Sean see your comments.

Have Fun

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Sean Reilly on 26 Jul, 2019 09:14 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Just a few questions:

If you let the app run for a little while do any of the more recent transactions appear?

Have you installed the app from the old "hockey" link that was previously on the preview page, or did you get the beta from the Google Play store beta release? If the former, then it'd be good to get on the play store beta track, the link for which is now on the preview page https://infinitekind.com/preview

One more possibility is that maybe the app is syncing with an outdated data set? That can happen very easily if you've archived a data set on the desktop and restored it but not re-configured syncing on the new data set.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

7. 7 Posted by jeffcarp on 26 Jul, 2019 10:02 PM

I'm unsure of whether this is related to keeping the app open or whether it's triggering something that's happening when I open the app and the "loading" message shows for a period of time but one of my accounts now contains three more transactions than it contained a couple of hours ago when I posted this message.

Instead of the transactions ending in November 2018, I now have three transactions in December 2018. The transactions are not sequential, in other words there are plenty of missing transactions in between the three transactions that are now showing up for December 2018.

I got the beta from the Play Store. I have not done any archiving of the data file and I've confirmed that syncing is turned on for my current Windows data file. I've also confirmed that the contents of the Moneydance sync folder in Dropbox has current sync files as late as from one hour ago.

8. 8 Posted by Sean on 26 Jul, 2019 11:30 PM

Hi Sean (R),

it seems very simple to me, the latest build dropped on the Google Play Store is flawed.

Everything was working fine until the last update which was the other day.

As per my post there seems to be a problem connecting to Dropbox, see screen print here:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-android-app-questions/12927-bug-no-longer-able-to-connect-to-dropbox-on-android

So either Dropbox changed their API, or Moneydance is not connecting to the API correctly.

Now as for versions:

Android: whatever the latest update is for the Android with June Security update
    PC: whatever the latest download is for the PC version of Moneydance
    Android: whatever the last version dropped on the Google Play store is

My rational for the above is very simple - everything is AUTO update and they are the last updates I have.

Happy to send the appropriate Moneydance/Android/Dropbox logs if that would help, and if someone could tell me where to pick them up from.

It seems there are multiple users with the same issue, so hope this can be fixed sooner rather than later.

Thanks and best regards
    Seán (M)

9. 9 Posted by Art on 26 Jul, 2019 11:40 PM

I saw exactly the same thing as jeffcarp -- after some time the data will populate up to the end of 2018 and seems to then slowly add one or two transactions at a time when I re-open the app. I tried killing the app (force quit) and deleting the storage data, then synced to a smaller test database, which populated in a short time. I didn't test it any further, but again re-set the app (force quit, delete cache and storage) and tried to sync to the main data file. Same thing happened - takes a long time to sync and after each re-opening the app seems to incrementally want to add a few new transactions.

My dataset is pretty large, goes back to 1995. However, I don't currently have any investment accounts, only banking.

MD build 1886, Windows 10 (1903), latest MD Android from Google Play. I have reverted, though, back to the non-beta version of the Android app for now.

10. 10 Posted by md on 27 Jul, 2019 11:07 AM

I found that if you keep waiting, all transactions will eventually be synchronised.

There is no feedback that the app is still synching, but I found that it eventually displayed a "last synchronised" message with the date and time, and all transactions were present. ( it took a while - I put my phone down and left it for a while )

11. 11 Posted by Art on 28 Jul, 2019 03:54 AM

Okay, so I re-installed the Beta and left the phone alone for a while and, sure enough, all the transactions were there.

One issue, though. I can add a new transaction on the desktop and it will sync to the phone. However, if I add a transaction on the phone it will not sync to the desktop. And then it disappears from the phone after a while (maybe after a sync occurs?).

MD build 1886, Windows 10 (1903), MD v. 2.0 from Google Play, Android 9 (Nokia 6.1 - Android One)

12. 12 Posted by Art on 28 Jul, 2019 05:18 AM

Actually, an hour or so later I checked again and now the transaction I added on the phone appears on the desktop and the phone. It just seemed to take longer to sync than I would have expected.

13. 13 Posted by jeffcarp on 30 Jul, 2019 01:09 PM

A few more days of past and I still don't have any where near all of my transactions on Android. The accounts are now showing transactions through July 2019 but no where near the quantity that exists in Windows.

When I was looking at the files on Dropbox to make sure that the Windows version of Moneydance was still synchronizing with Dropbox, I noticed that there are synchronization files on there from over 2 years ago and that the synchronization folder is now over 300 MB.

Does the sink process just leave those files there in perpetuity? I've got enough Dropbox capacity that it's not really an issue but it seems weird that there's no purging mechanism in the sink process.

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jul, 2019 07:32 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Hi jeffcarp

Regarding older mdtxn files they should get absorbed into the main trunk.......mdtxn file periodically.

Try resetting syncing.
    Do a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – BACKUP
    Close Moneydance.
    On your phone, under settings disconnect.
    In your Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”.
    Open Moneydance and wait until the “.moneydancesync” and its contents are fully recreated. Then set up syncing on your phone again.
    Report your “.moneydancesync” file size.

Hope this helps.

15. 15 Posted by jeffcarp on 31 Jul, 2019 02:31 PM

I went through the steps in order. A total of over 14,000 files and nearly 300MB was deleted when I deleted the .moneydance folder in Dropbox.

The new .moneydance folder has been created in Dropbox and it is now 7 files and 24MB.

However, Moneydance Android is completely empty even after reconnecting to Dropbox. I cleared both the cache and data, removed and reinstalled Moneydance Android. It reconnects the Dropbox successfully but it doesn't show my data file to select. It shows some generic data file called Finances which isn't the name of my data file. Selecting that day to file anyway, the content of Moneydance Android is completely empty.

16. 16 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jul, 2019 02:52 PM

Hi jeffcarp

I haven’t got MD mobile beta 2.0 working yet either.
    I would suggest going back to build 1.15 to check “.moneydancesync” folder is OK.
    Uninstall MD beta 2.0
    Find Moneydance in Play Store and towards the bottom use the leave beta testing button then install MD 1.15 and check it works.
    You can go back to being a beta tester later.

Hope his helps

17. 17 Posted by jeffcarp on 31 Jul, 2019 02:57 PM

I was able to solve my problem with the beta of Moneydance Android not syncing after resetting sync. I had to also reset sync in Moneydance Windows (turn it off and then turn it back on). That still didn't fix the problem but once I made a new transaction in Windows, then my data file showed up as an option within Moneydance Android at that point.

What's a little scary is that after going through all of this process, I ended up with two new accounts in my Windows file. One account was a long string of alphanumeric characters. The other account was named Finances. Both accounts with zero balance with no transactions and account creation date of today. I deleted them from my Windows File and it subsequently were removed from the Android account list. I don't see any additional evidence that this messed with any of my other data.

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jul, 2019 03:09 PM

Hi jeffcarp

One thing worth knowing, in case you don’t already.
    Within each alpha numeric folder in “.moneydancesync” is a text file mdsyncinfo.txt
    Open this in a text editor to find out which Moneydance data set the folder relates to.

Hope his helps

19. 19 Posted by derekkent23 on 04 Aug, 2019 08:42 AM

Android mobile beta users you may want to take a look at this thread.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/iphone-ipod-touch-ip...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac