Update(ing) the Mobile App - Some Thoughts

Art

07 Aug, 2019 05:55 PM

Now that there seems to be a push to provide more functionality to the mobile app, I thought I'd list a few of my thoughts and, perhaps, see what others think about wanting/using a mobile app.

1. Will the app continue to be free or will it become paid? Well, for me, I would be willing to pay for a fully functioning android app. I know that might be a tough sell in the android market as it would probably spur some anger (unless there will remain a free bare bones app and a new "pro" app). It might go down easier in the Apple realm. At no point, however, would I ever (ever, ever, ever) want this to become subscription based. No way, no how.

2. I have personally never had problems with sync between devices. In fact, it has been excellent (fast, accurate). That has to continue in the future - especially the sync speed -- sometimes I use the mobile app to enter a new transaction as I'm in the check-out line and waiting for the app to sync can be very frustrating. That is one of the real advantages to me of the existing non-beta app in that sync is very fast. Entering a new transaction to MD should be as quick on the mobile app as entering a new Event in the Calendar app. Right now, for me, the non-beta app will do the initial sync when I open the app on my phone (using cell network) in maybe 10 seconds. The current beta takes about 45 seconds. That's how long I need to wait until I can start using the app.

3. Ideally, it would be great if the mobile app was identical to the desktop. Most of the time I use MD on a Surface Pro, so a full featured tablet app doesn't have as high a priority to me as, say, someone who uses an iPad as their primary "computer." I'd settle for a stripped down mobile experience, but with all the transaction features of the desktop, including tags, transaction reminders, budgets and a few reports (for me: expenses, budget bars, cash flow). Again, I would hate to see sacrificing sync speed for lots of features. Fingerprint authorization to open the app as opposed to a pin would also help in speeding things up.

4. Attachments -- I do have a number of attachments to transactions and this might slow down sync if all the attachments are synced. I don't really need to see attachments on a mobile app, so maybe let me decide if I want to sync attachments in the app settings? On the other hand, being able to take a picture of a receipt with the phone and attaching that to a transaction that would sync to the desktop would be helpful.

5. Search/Find and Replace -- this is mandatory in my mind. Especially now that all transactions are synced (mine go back to 1995). I've always thought it odd that the Apple app has a search bar while the Android version does not.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading.

Art

1. 1 Posted by Lee on 07 Aug, 2019 08:30 PM

yes i have an ipad and would LOVE to have an mobile app as of now, it is impossible for me when i am traveling

2. 2 Posted by Geoff Burnett on 14 Aug, 2019 07:41 PM

Agree. I was using an iPad this morning and it's really limiting only being able to enter and view transactions. I'd also like to see the ability to amend and apply reminders and also to be able to see and update investment accounts.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac