Support for other sync options than Dropbox

Romain

13 Jan, 2020 07:51 AM

Hello,

Recently (well, not so recently but I just found out about it), Dropbox limited their free tier to 3 connected/linked devices. I use Dropbox primarily to sync MD files across my mac, my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and my wife's PC which would already be 4 devices. I seem to be currently "grandfathered" into having more devices (since I had them prior to them making the switch in March of last year) but as soon as I switch phones or upgrade one of the computers, I will lose the ability to sync MD using Dropbox.

I was wondering if it would be possible to support other syncing mechanisms in iOS (for example Box which does not have such a limit AFAIK or WebDav or ...). I really would like to be able to continue using MD but don't really want to have to pay $120 to Dropbox for that privilege (I don't really need the large storage space and just use Dropbox to sync MD.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Jan, 2020 08:13 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Unless you have the Dropbox client installed on your system no connection license is used.

As the mobile apps use the Dropbox API exclusively it does not use a connection license i.e. the Dropbox client would not be used even if installed, so in your case it sounds like you would not have the client installed on your mobile devices. It is the Dropbox client that uses the connectivity license.

So you are down to the PC and the MAC which means a maximum of 2 connection licenses could be in use. You use a connection license if you use the Dropbox Folder option in Moneydance, and thus need to have the client installed. However if you use the Dropbox Connection option on desktop machines then the Dropbox client does not need to be installed hence you use no licenses.

I believe that for any alternative option to be viable and be considered if would need to support all 5 platforms that Moneydance runs on i.e. Windows, MacOS, Linux, IOS & Android .

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 13 Jan, 2020 10:46 AM

Hi Romain,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

I can see you’ve received a reply from one of our knowledgeable Moneydance customers.
    To add to this useful information I thought it's worth mentioning that the Dropbox limit
    applies to the devices that can be connected to the Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.

So, if your computer is using Dropbox Folder, as you have to have Dropbox client installed this count towards the limit.

However, if you use Dropbox Connection and don’t have Dropbox client installed this does not count towards the limit.

This limit does not apply to third party apps that connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API such as the Moneydance Mobile app.

So, you would only be in danger of moving towards the limit if you had Dropbox official app installed on your mobile devices for another reason.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Romain on 16 Jan, 2020 06:15 AM

Thanks a lot for the clarification! That's great to know. I didn't realize that MD connected directly to Dropbox. I am, however, currently using the "Dropbox Folder" sync method so I suppose I will have to switch to "Dropbox Connection" for this to work properly. I will do that.

Thanks!
    Romain

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 16 Jan, 2020 07:44 AM

There is no issue in using Dropbox Connection on some devices and Dropbox Folder on others, the difference between the two being in how the data gets transferred between the client and the server.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 16 Jan, 2020 11:01 AM

You are welcome, Romain!
    I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. Maddy closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2020 11:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac