You need to has a least a free Dropbox account and have installed Dropbox client on the computers to be synced.
When you sync you have a Primary computer, your desktop and one or more Secondary computers.
Your data set MUST BE located on your Primary computer hard drive preferably in the location defined when in Moneydance you click HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. A Data set is a Folder not a file containing other folders and files with the naming convention your_data_set_name.moneydance
As part of the Moneydance syncing process Moneydance will create a Data Set in the same default location on the Secondary computers. Do Not move this Data Set.
Dropbox Folder syncing method setup is as follows:
1. Open Moneydance on your Primary computer under FILE - SYNCING and select DROPBOX FOLDER as the Sync Method then click OK. Now enter the Encryption Password and click OK.
2. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created in your Dropbox folder. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”. From now on normal syncing is fast, no need to wait or check.
3. On your Secondary computers starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”. Or if it opens in to an existing account click FILE - NEW
4. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.
5. You should see a search screen headed “Finding synced files” then “Select a synced document to open”
6. Highlight the data set name you won’t to sync with and click NEXT.
7. Enter the encryption password, the one you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING. When entered correctly the FINISH button is ungreyed.
8. Then click on FINISH. You should see the message “Performing initial sync this may take a while”.
9. Wait to syncing is complete.
You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.
You can also sync to mobile devices such as phones. The free app is available from Apple Store.
Don’t install Drobox client on your mobile device/phone unless it is for a reason unrelated to Moneydance.
The setup is as follows.
1. On your phone once the Moneydance app is installed, open the app, then tap "Connect to Dropbox" or Dropbox icon.
2. You'll be taken to Dropbox's website to give the Moneydance app permission to access your Dropbox.
If you're already connected to Dropbox on your device, this may be done automatically.
3. If you have more than one file enabled to sync via Dropbox, choose the file you'd like to sync.
4. Enter the Encryption Password (“Encryption Passphrase”) that you used to sync on your computers.
5. It can take a long time to for the first sync to complete, perhaps leave overnight if necessary.
You can now view, edit and add transaction to your Bank and credit card type accounts. You don’t get access to investment account reminders, reports etc. It’s just a simple method of adding transaction when you’re out and about.