Python scripting with WEBkit for data download

mankiko

01 Feb, 2019 01:40 AM

Happy to see that MD2019 has been released! The email I received mentioned the built in webkit based browser to connecting to online banking sites and downloading data. It also mentions that this can be scripted using python.

Where can I find an example or more info on how I would script this with python?
More than happy to contribute any scripts I write back for connecting to banks to the project.

Thanks!
Dave

1. 1 Posted by mankiko on 23 Apr, 2019 11:59 AM

Is there a sample python script available that shows how to interact with the built in browser?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sean Reilly on 23 Apr, 2019 09:46 PM

Hi Dave,

Sorry for failing to respond to your previous message. I'm really excited that you've noticed this and are interested in contributing!

We're still in the early stages of getting the frameworks for scripting connections to banks, and even have some issues to work out with our underlying http implementation that was necessary to make the connections work.

I've attached a partial python script which shows how to open a session, load a page, and then navigate the UK HSBC site to retrieve some account data. It uses an API that is already built-in to Moneydance to store values on a per-account or per-data-file basis, including things like usernames as well as passwords or secret keys which are stored differently.

This isn't fully working yet, but that's mainly because of the http implementation having some issues which I'm working on now.

It references a tikmoneynet library which you probably don't need just yet but will be bundled with Moneydance eventually. For the time being that library only does things like help with challenge-response authentication such as "enter the Nth (or 2nd to last, etc) character of your password".

Thanks!
    Sean

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac