New extension - ‘Custom Balances’ (previously: ‘net_account_balances’) - comments please

I just just released this new extension on my site (link below).

net_account_balances.mxt

[https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/]

In simple terms, it creates a little widget on the Home Page / Summary View (that is always updated as appropriate).
* It allows you to select multiple accounts, and the balances are totalled and displayed on the new Home screen widget

• The original concept was to add balances and target a zero balance. Thus a positive number is 'good', a negative is 'bad'

• The idea is that you net cash and debt to get back to zero every month. I use this method, you may not....

• But you can use it for anything really; You have the option to change the balance type too

• Now allows you to select all account types and converts fx to base currency

• For example, if you selected the right accounts, it could be your own Net Worth Valuation perhaps..

I built it for my own purposes, and also to create a demonstration / 'model' of how to do this purely in Python. It leverages new features in build 3056+ - so it won't work on earlier versions of MD....

To install, download the zip, extract the .mxt file. Drag and drop this on to the left sidebar. Then go into Preferences, Summary Page, and move it to where you want it on the Home Screen... Ideally, top left is best....

Anyway, if anyone has a play, I would be interested in feedback, comments, thoughts.... Or even if you can break it.... ;->

Author of Toolbox 藺

1. 1 Posted by huang1226 on 29 Mar, 2021 10:07 AM

Local currency is NT$, Charle Schwab is US$, looks like the currency exchange is not kicked it.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 Mar, 2021 10:27 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

@huang1226 - thanks is the value correct? is it just the display symbol that's wrong?

3. 3 Posted by huang1226 on 29 Mar, 2021 12:12 PM

Local currency symbol is OK. The value is not. Should multiply exchange rate.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 Mar, 2021 08:02 PM

@huang1226 - V3 is uploaded now.. Handles currency and converts back to base. Also allows you to select more account types. Let me know how you get on?

5. 5 Posted by huang1226 on 29 Mar, 2021 11:53 PM

It works fine now, thanks for the handy extension.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Mar, 2021 04:22 AM

I’ve realised you can use it for many things. I just tested and you could for example use it as an instant mini net worth balance (if you don’t like the standard NW widget).

7. 7 Posted by tonyt on 30 Mar, 2021 11:06 AM

Is 3056 OK on Mac?
    Cheers

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Mar, 2021 12:40 PM

There’s a couple of niggles but build 3056 for Mac is ok.

9. 9 Posted by tonyt on 30 Mar, 2021 06:17 PM

What are the niggles please? i know what niggles are, just which ones are they?
    Cheers...

10. 10 Posted by tonyt on 30 Mar, 2021 06:18 PM

Also, do you have a screen shot with homepage widget installed?

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Mar, 2021 06:48 PM

3056 issues that I know of...:
    - win 10 some dark theme issues - edit check numbers crashes. - couple of button display issues - Mac: couple of odd console GUI error messages in console (related to new UI) - date picker popup: some issues - Mac: file/open switch datasets; memory leak (this one is the main one for me) Having said all this; it runs ok and I’m using 3056 live.

12. 12 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Mar, 2021 07:01 PM

The display is very simple.. SSs attached. One of the widget (circled in Red). Note you can change the display name and also where it sits on the HomePage. The other is the config screen....

13. System closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2021 07:10 PM.

14. Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ re-opened this discussion on 28 Nov, 2021 08:00 PM

15. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 Nov, 2021 08:00 PM

MAJOR UPDATE - PREVIEW.... Seeking input / comments.. Download latest from here:

https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/net_...
    (unzip, double-click the mxt file to install, ignore signing warnings)

Now has multi-row, can convert each row back to any Currency, can select and total Securities as well....

Seeking comments, feedback, suggestions...

16. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 05 Dec, 2021 11:17 AM

MAJOR UPDATE - RELEASE CANDIDATE...

New features:
    - Ability to summarise Accounts/Categories/Securities - Multi-row - Muti-currency (you can set the display currency by row) - Many filters - Search/filter option - Select different balance types (per row) - AutoSum feature to auto-total account and it's sub-accounts (or manual) by row - Warnings for 'illogical' calculations

So you can put together whatever combination of accounts/categories/securities you want, by row...

If you use please send back comments, suggestions etc...

17. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 Dec, 2021 07:26 PM

Latest release candidate attached (now renamed to Custom Balances)..

It's worth a look!!

If you use please send back comments, suggestions etc...

18. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Dec, 2021 09:34 PM

Custom Balances: The official Signed updated version now available from the Manage Extensions menu

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac