New extension: 'Accounts Categories Mega Search Window'

Stuart Beesley (Mr Toolbox)

06 Apr, 2022 01:54 PM

Enhances the internal MD menu Tools>Accounts and Tools>Categories popup windows. It combines both accounts and categories in one list and provides a quick search capability. The new window only activates if you call it from the Extensions menu and once you close it, it's gone (unless you request it again).

Download here:
https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/acco...

Do have a play and let me know any feedback?

Mr Toolbox
My Site: https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

accounts_categories_mega_search_window

1. 1 Posted by roneydxb on 25 May, 2022 07:48 AM

Hello Stu,

Ref the Mega Search Window.
    We had some discussion on this in another thread - which I list below for reference only - but continuing here as this subject is more focussed:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/14144-make-reminders-floating-window
    81 Posted by roneydxb on Apr 25, 2022 @ 04:26 PM

In there, I mentioned that the search does not list some items due to the fact that the parent group is collapsed.

Thus, please consider to add a mechanism to expand ALL items in one go - so that the search feature will continue to work.

In addition, it would be great if you can also - throw focus into the search field immediately upon opening

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 26 May, 2022 09:51 AM

@roneydxb - I have made the two changes you requested. A preview build is available for you to try/test on my site (I'm no longer writing the download link in posts).... Let me know how it goes.

If you confirm it's OK, then I will request signing....

3. 3 Posted by roneydxb on 26 May, 2022 10:01 AM

Thank you. I sure will install and provide feedback asap

4. 4 Posted by roneydxb on 26 May, 2022 07:38 PM

Hello Stu,
    Installed. Excellent ! Working very well. Thank you.

Although - not very necessary, please allow me to suggest one more minor change:

-- Double clicking a category takes it to EDIT mode - which is also available using a right click. Also available with right click is the OPEN IN NEW WINDOW. It would be ideal if the double-click would do the latter ( OPEN IN NEW WINDOW ).

Thats it.
    PS. Surprised that no one else has made mention of this very useful feature tool.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 26 May, 2022 08:37 PM

The choice of edit vs open is debatable. I personally like edit. I will leave it as is for now (unless I get more requests for that).

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 May, 2022 05:34 AM

FYI - A signed version of this latest build (1004) has been uploaded to my site.

7. 7 Posted by roneydxb on 29 May, 2022 04:34 PM

Downloaded from your site :
    https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/
    under heading: SIGNED VERSIONS HOSTED ON THIS SITE

I'm afraid the download/file does not work. See screenshot of error below.
    Please could you update.

[image: image.png]

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 May, 2022 04:52 PM

You have to make sure the file name is:
    accounts_categories_mega_search_window.mxt and not have any extra numbers on the end before installing.

9. 9 Posted by roneydxb on 29 May, 2022 05:11 PM

Thanks and good to know. Problem solved. Installed and working.

10. 10 Posted by roneydxb on 12 Jun, 2022 03:57 PM

Hello Stu,
    Been using the latest ACCOUNTS AND CATEGORIES MEGA SEARCH extensively - the last EXPAND ALL button works really well.

I would also like to request considering adding COLLAPSE ALL button as well - so all group headers ( including sub-group-headers ) get collapsed. Whilst this may not help with searches - it does help with manually managing different categories and sub-categories when you have a large list.

Additionally, it would also help if the line spacing between each category ( density ) can be reduced - so that they are more compact / closer-together and thus more items listed on the screen. Not sure if this is possible though - as it looks like it mirrors the moneydance theme.

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Jun, 2022 04:40 PM

FYI. The window IS the MD coa / category window. It does NOT mirror the md theme, it is the same internal window (albeit with some added bells/whistles). As such, I’m not going to touch line spacing.

Regards Stuart B

12. 12 Posted by roneydxb on 12 Jun, 2022 05:48 PM

Yes. I thought it might be so. Just wanted to be sure. The COLLAPSE ALL button would still be useful to have ( instead of manually collapsing them all one by one )

13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Jun, 2022 05:58 PM

Collapse all done. Latest preview on my site:

... clue.... look for '-' on the bottom right......

I've also added in Security Accounts under Investment accounts... (were missing)....

14. 14 Posted by roneydxb on 12 Jun, 2022 06:22 PM

Working - but it looks like only the master categories are collapsed. Is there a way for all sub-categories to also be collapsed ? Meaning, when I manually expand one such master category - its sub-categories remain collapsed ?

PS. Have not played around much with Investment accounts and securities ( as yet ).. so cannot comment much about it...

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Jun, 2022 06:43 AM

OK... So I think that you are saying that my new collapse all button is working 100%? yes? Pls confirm?

What you are asking for is something completely new? I.e. if you manually expand a category, then standard MD expands that selected categorie's tree.. You want it so that if you manually expand a category, that the sub categories remain collapsed? Have I written this right? Sorry, but no... This is standard MD and I'm not touching that.

16. 16 Posted by roneydxb on 13 Jun, 2022 07:14 AM

Yes - the collapse all button is working 100%

What I 'thought' was happening is that - when clicking the collapse (-) button - only the main headers were collapsing - and the sub-headers were not ( which sounds strange ). Perhaps both main-headers and sub-headers are indeed being collapsed but is not visible to the user ( and so I have no idea about this ).

But now, interestingly, ( i think ) you are saying - ( when manually expaning any main header ) it is actually MONEYDANCE who is expanding ALL main-headers and sub-headers . If this is true, then I guess there is nothing that can be done. But ideally, moneydance should not be assuming that the user always prefers to expand all sub-groups - that should be an add-on option.

I might add - I assume moneydance wishes that users buy and use this as their primary software ( either for personal or business or whatever ) - and so it should be expected that users ( over time ) will expand their use and have a long list of categories and accounts - and require a UI and options that can help make it more manageable. My comments are not a put-down in any way - I very much prefer moneydance ( have been using it over 10-15 years and have tried to expand that into every possible personal accounting for myself and family I can make use of ) and am only attempting to help improve this somehow. I have previously used it extensively to support my work as well.

17. 17 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Jun, 2022 07:35 AM

Sean (the developer) has indicated that he plans to upgrade the core accounts/categories windows in future.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac