Can OnlineTxn support multiple splits?

Bob B

01 Nov, 2022 08:59 PM

I am writing an extension to import CSV transactions from WISE because the standard CSV import requires too many steps and I need to merge columns. For some WISE transactions, there is an associated bank fee which is included as a separate column in the CSV file. I'd like to be able to import that value and associate it to a category. In the manual world, I add it as a second split.

Is there a way to handle the fee and associate it with the OnlineTxn I am creating?

I have three possible workarounds:
1) create a separate txn for the fee - but then the fee is not associated to the primary txn and makes reporting a lot more difficult.
2) find all the ParentTxn (in code) after they have been loaded and modify them to add a split with the fee.
3) forget about using OnlineTxn (and the nice matching etc that goes with it) and load the transactions directly.

Is there an easier, built-in way, to do this with an OnlineTxn?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Nov, 2022 10:12 PM

(FYI - Md+ can already download Wise successfully)

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Nov, 2022 07:09 AM

Perhaps share your code that uses OnlineTxn?

Anyway, I could be wrong but...., I cannot see that OnlineTxn can handle a split. It seems to be a simple record that can be stored in OnlineTxnList. There seems to be no references to SplitTxn (etc) in either of these classes.

I'm guessing that you are using these classes so that Moneydance will then take over and you can use the normal GUI in the txn register for Confirm/Merge etc?

It does seem that com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.fileimport.QIFFileImporter can handle splits, perhaps look there for inspiration?

Perhaps clarify your usage and then we can comment. My guess is that if you process the file in a different manner, then you can achieve a split..

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 02 Nov, 2022 07:14 AM

FWIW I have imported QIF files that have splits and they imported properly. There is provision for splits in the QIF spec.

4. 4 Posted by Bob B on 07 Nov, 2022 05:51 AM

Thanks. I've tried creating a QIF file and importing a transaction that way but there doesn't seem to be a confirm and matching step in the UI. So unless I'm doing it incorrectly, that doesn't seem like an option.

I think for my purposes, finding and modifying the transactions that have a fee in code will be the easiest. I can get the required MD transaction by using the txnID in the CSV file and then modify it to add a split.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 07 Nov, 2022 07:16 AM

QIF files are used for both migrations and for downloads. When performing migrations it does not trigger the confirmation process however I seem to remember it does for downloads. To me this suggests it is picking up some difference in the QIF file.

It seems use of the QIF !Type: command line may be the trigger for the confirmation process.

6. 6 Posted by Bob B on 13 Nov, 2022 05:32 AM

Thanks all for your responses. I ended up going the route of modifying the transactions right after they were added. It was the easiest way for me to accomplish my end goal.

I did run into a few snags that took a bit to figure out. When an online tx is confirmed in the UI, it doesn't seem to allow multiple splits (unless it matches to one that already has multiple splits). So I ended up using the createDuplicateAsNew function to create a brand new tx and I modified it to add the required split, then deleted the old txn. I had to copy over additional info like FIID, FiTxnID and originalTxn. Now when I confirm the txn everything stays put. I don't get the matching but since I already remove duplicates before loading the onlineTxns, I don't lose much in terms of functionality.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac