Download from Capital One 360 broken

Udo

21 Nov, 2018 05:26 PM

Since yesterday I can't download transactions from Capital One 360 anymore.

How can I fix the issue?

Error Description: java.net
ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

Showing page 3 out of 4. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by Michael Bentkof... on 29 Nov, 2018 03:50 PM

I am also having trouble using CapitalOne 360 DirectConnect downloads. I spoke to several people at CapitalOne 360 and their tech support staff has insisted it's working fine and the trouble is with Quicken, not with their site. I believe CapitalOne 360 is incorrect and their OFX site is currently not working.

2. 62 Posted by Jamie Nichols on 29 Nov, 2018 04:10 PM

Trying to connect and this is the error message.

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

Bank Name: Capital One 360 (possibly discontinued)

There was an error communicating with the server. This could be the result of a network problem, or the server may be offline or not responding. Please try the operation again later.
    Error Description: java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable (connect failed)

3. 63 Posted by com on 29 Nov, 2018 04:21 PM

Michael,
    I got in a big fight with Capital One Credit Card support over a year ago because they are too stupid to know the difference between OFX Direct Connect and Quicken Web Connect. Every time I say OFX Direct Connect doesn't work they say Quicken can connect just fine. It became abundantly clear the "technical support" was horribly incompetent and cannot understand the problem. I am not surprised that several people on this thread have reported mixed information from Capital One support.

4. 64 Posted by Jeremy Berteele on 29 Nov, 2018 04:34 PM

Sent from my iPhone

5. 65 Posted by Michael Bentkof... on 29 Nov, 2018 04:49 PM

Just adding my last note. I spoke with management at Capital One 360 and tried convincing them they've turned off a service that several people were using. In a multi-way conversation with IT support, it is clear to me that someone made a decision to turn-off Direct Connect downloads because they believe it's a security risk, although they clearly don't understand the rationale behind that statement. Overall, Capital One 360 is not going to support Direct Connect from now on. They aren't going to turn it back on.

6. 66 Posted by Jason on 29 Nov, 2018 05:06 PM

This is so stupid of them.
    Oh well so long Capital one, I moved everything over to discover bank. OFX working fine for me over there.

7. 67 Posted by dwg on 29 Nov, 2018 07:56 PM

Ok I can accept there are increased security risks if you allow two way communication i.e Bill pay, but If you only implement direct connect to facilitate transaction downloads I fail to see any increased security problem over any other method.

Say "Security Risk" to many and it shuts them up, it can end a lot of conversations. It makes me wonder if someone at Quicken is getting in their ear about so called security risks - Quicken's Express Web Connect is a far bigger security hole than a system facilitating transaction downloads.

Of course the ultimate goal to the bank could just be to reduce costs, getting rid of Direct Connect gets rid of a system that needs to be maintained.

It is little wonder that Banks are pretty much universally despised (and I worked for one many years ago) and that some countries are looking at the Open Banking inititive (backed by law) to force them to open your data in order to allow you to make better use of it.

8. 68 Posted by avp2 on 29 Nov, 2018 09:51 PM

I suspect the banks would rather have customer traffic through their website than a backend service like OFX for more control and income. OFX users (even for business) are probably a minority with relatively little influence.

BTW, the Capital One 360 OFX server I was using in early September definitely does not even respond to query from me any longer.

9. 69 Posted by dwg on 29 Nov, 2018 10:00 PM

I suspect that banks see their website as a cost reduction more than anything, You do not call them up thus tying up staff resources, or heaven forbid, go into a branch and deal with them over the counter.

10. 70 Posted by mcp on 30 Nov, 2018 03:35 PM

I also confirmed with CapitalOne today that they're no longer offering OFX support. Support for this protocol is table-stakes for me to do business with a financial institution. They're insane if they think I'm going to hand-enter transactions or log into their web site to download transactions when OFX makes synchronizing transactions across all accounts a one-click operation with a program like Moneydance.

First CapitalOne ruined ING Direct by purchasing them and redesigning their web site into an unusable mess, and now this. I'll be moving my business elsewhere.

11. Support Staff 71 Posted by Sean Reilly on 30 Nov, 2018 03:56 PM

Since dwg mentioned the Open Banking Initiative I'd like to chime in with a bit of information about it. I looked into supporting it with Moneydance but it won't be possible unless they change their authentication requirements. Basically, they require that any software connecting to the bank's services be authenticated using a TLS client certificate linked to an FSA-approved company. This effectively eliminates the possibility for standalone client software like Moneydance to download information from the banks. Instead, it forces customers to use web-based software to download information which is limited to, you guessed it, aggregation systems.

So instead of privately providing open access to your own financial transactions, it forces customers to go through third party services. In order to add support for this in Moneydance, I'd have to route your data (or at least authentication) through our servers, which we're definitely not going to do. Because of the Open Banking Initiative, third party aggregation services are having a huge party at the expense of your privacy.

Thanks,
    Sean

12. 72 Posted by mcp on 30 Nov, 2018 05:47 PM

Sean,

What’s an example of a third party aggregation service like this? Are you saying that they act as the termination point for the encryption and the have access to our private banking info in plain text henceforth? Just trying to understand the comment about this happening at the expense of our privacy.

13. 73 Posted by melissa.hines on 30 Nov, 2018 06:15 PM

Adding a comment so that I, too, can be notified when the new connection mechanism for Capital One becomes available. Like others, I am not interested in giving a third party aggregator access to my banking information.

14. 74 Posted by dwg on 30 Nov, 2018 07:58 PM

mcp,

I believe Sean is referring to services like Quicken's Express Web Connect, Yodlee etc

15. Support Staff 75 Posted by Sean Reilly on 30 Nov, 2018 08:03 PM

Hi Maxim,

Great question... one example of an aggregation service like this would be mint.com or other web-based financial apps. The current Open Banking Initiative system only allows connections to known services like that. To be fair, any such service must be registered with the Financial Services Authority in the UK. But once you authenticate with your bank through their service, their service will have full access to your transactions and accounts.

Unfortunately because the open banking authentication process is restricted to coming only from such services, there's no way to write client software (securely, at least) that can connect to such a service. I hope it's coming in the future, but for now it's not possible.

Thanks,
    Sean

16. 76 Posted by bem236 on 30 Nov, 2018 08:27 PM

Sean,

Could Infinite Kind register as an aggregation service but not permanently store the client’s credentials? They could be saved in the client software on the user machine and then passed through, but not stored on your servers, when the client requests a download?

17. 77 Posted by dwg on 30 Nov, 2018 08:57 PM

It would be a shame if Open Banking goes that way, I regard giving your username/password to anyone as a security breech.

It is not yet clear how Open banking will work in Australia we are still some way off the Phase 1 introduction.

18. Support Staff 78 Posted by Sean Reilly on 30 Nov, 2018 11:39 PM

Hi Bem,

We could register as an aggregation service, but I believe that all of the transactions would still need to be routed through our servers, and possibly need to be cached there as well. So there would still be the increased security risk and your financial data going through our computers. In addition to the privacy issues are also issues of liability. We're a very small company and I'd like to avoid getting setting ourselves up for a huge liability by being responsible for any financial information on our servers.

I am hopeful that the Open Banking Initiative will eventually allow access directly from client software. It's certainly possible, and if I ever get some free time I'll certainly lobby for it.

Thanks,
    Sean

19. 79 Posted by Ralph on 01 Dec, 2018 05:26 PM

As I look at the validation histories at OFXhome.com I see that many of the institutions had prolonged OFX failures. Notably Chase which is behind the Amazon CC.

Has anyone had OFX issues with the Amazon Chase card and should I be concerned that Chase failed to validate from Jun 24 - Nov 9, 2018????

Do we know why there were issues this summer?
    Thanks,

20. 80 Posted by Chris W on 01 Dec, 2018 06:20 PM

My Chase Amazon.com account has worked fine with OFX. Sometimes there are problems, but not often and not long.

21. 81 Posted by Udo on 01 Dec, 2018 06:36 PM

I have a Chase United Airlines card that I have only occasionally problems downloading. It usually fixes itself or disconnecting and setting up online access newly fixes it.

22. 82 Posted by Ralph on 01 Dec, 2018 07:24 PM

Thanks for your feedback,

23. 83 Posted by layer on 01 Dec, 2018 09:49 PM

I just talked with someone at CapOne and said I was going to move my money elsewhere if they don't fix it ASAP. My leverage is that my business uses them and has significant cash there. The dude told me the only place that would "hear" me is

The email is "customersatisfaction" you know what goes in between the email name and domain name, which is "capitalone.com" ... hopefully that's clear to you all.

So, I recommend everyone email them and complain. Of course, if you tell them you'll be moving your money to another institution, that would help.

Here's what gets my goat: they SHOULD be able to easily do a database query that is something like this: give me all the accounts that use OFX downloads, then give me the sum of all the funds in those accounts.

I'm guessing it's not a small number, but maybe they really do not give af.

I knew CapOne would mess up the good thing we had going with Ing Direct. How many years did it take to run me off? More than I thought, TBH.

I fully expect them to call my bluff. I'm going to move my funds to existing accounts (I knew this was coming!!) at USAA and E*Trade. Seriously, USAA is an excellent bank. I was able to use my father's army service in the 60's to get an account there, but I hear they don't require military service anymore. I can highly recommend them. They are awesome. (I have no affiliation with them.)

Good luck to you all!

24. 84 Posted by chobe2 on 02 Dec, 2018 12:14 PM

When I spoke to Capital One, I told him that there were many, many people discussing moving their funds elsewhere....he didn't care. It took me a long time on hold to even talk to a representative and then the guy was less then helpful. I called Discover Bank yesterday about my new accounts and spoke to somebody immediately who was very polite and very willing to help. I'm done with Capital One...that rhymes...lol

25. 85 Posted by layer on 02 Dec, 2018 03:14 PM

I've already starting moving funds to existing accounts. Biggest pain is setting up bill pay, but I'm doing it.

Monday, first task: move company funds elsewhere. I can't lie, that's going to feel good.

26. Support Staff 86 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 Dec, 2018 03:35 PM

Chiming on banks to replace Capital One: We've always gotten very positive reports of USAA from other Moneydance customers.

27. 87 Posted by mondan on 02 Dec, 2018 03:41 PM

Sent my complaint to Customer Satisfaction. Will post their reply if and/or when I get it.

Jim

28. 88 Posted by chobe2 on 02 Dec, 2018 03:44 PM

I need a bank that pays a decent rate on savings accounts. USAA pays anywhere from 0.09% to 1.31% ($1,000,000 or more); Discover Bank pays 2%.

29. 89 Posted by Ralph on 02 Dec, 2018 03:50 PM

Concerning replacements for Capital One:
    I'm researching Axos Bank (formerly Bank of Internet, USA.)
    MD shows it works with Bank of Internet.
    OFX shows valid history as of yesterday for Bank of Internet.

Does anyone have experience with Axos checking working with Bank of Internet OFX credentials?
    Should we update both websites if Axos is functioning well?
    Thanks,

30. 90 Posted by Maxim Porges on 02 Dec, 2018 07:31 PM

Has anybody used Ally? They don’t support direct connect but they do pay 2% on money market, twice what CapitalOne 360 pays. If I’m going to have to hand-key transactions I might as well get paid to do it.

A few folks have mentioned Discover, how are their checking and savings accounts? Do they support direct connect? I considered moving my money to Chase since their web site and app are excellent, but their money market interest rates are abysmal (0.09% - are they kidding?).

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac