Adding new accounts

gil_woolley

21 Dec, 2018 07:44 PM

I have just added a checking account and a credit card account for the purpose of tracking income and expenses on a rental house.

After I had done what I thought was the way to add the credit card account, I find the new account in Moneydance is shown as a subsidiary (indented) with respect to an existing credit card. I don't think the account should be subsidiary, it should be at equal level. When that is accomplished, I want to be able to download transactions on the new credit card as I can on the existing card.

The user manual has not shown me how to accomplish the addition of these two accounts to existing accounts all at the same bank.

1. 1 Posted by gil_woolley on 21 Dec, 2018 07:48 PM

Oh, and by the way, my bank is Bank of America. Will that complicate matters? The new accounts were created in November, 2018. The existing accounts go back many years.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Tom Freeman on 21 Dec, 2018 08:56 PM

While in the sub account go to account > edit account. In the edit account window look for parent account and from the scroll menu select your base account,

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by gil_woolley on 27 Jan, 2019 08:20 PM

Help!

I added a checking account and a credit card account in December to existing checking and credit card accounts.

I have discovered that entries to the new credit card account will appear instead in the new checking account and vice versa. Until I discovered this syndrome, I was going mad trying to figure out how to reconcile each account. I would get each one correct manually (I can't download information from Bank of America). Then I'd look at the other account and see that it now had entries which should be in the other account. Deleting the unwanted from the incorrect account turned out to also delete them from the account where they belonged.

I think you need some log file or some such but tell me what is needed to unscramble these.

The older accounts do not exhibit this phenomena.
    3388 GiGi
    GiGi 9776
    are the old ones
    Mariposa Rental 9524
    2651 Rental Mariposa
    are the names of the new ones

I am using categories
    Mariposa Rental
    and 2651 Rental Mariposa
    and I'm wondering if there is a problem there.

Regards,

Gil Woolley

4. 4 Posted by Ethan on 27 Jan, 2019 10:20 PM

Hello Gil,

Just to be clear, how are you getting your transactions into Moneydance? If you are importing a file from your bank, which file type are you using?

I notice in your lists that you have some categories that are named extremely similar to your accounts. Are you sure these are categories? Or are you saying that is what you are choosing for these transactions in the category field?

My guess is that you are actually creating transfers between two accounts, not an income/expense transaction between an account and a category. For example, if "2651 Rental Mariposa" is actually an account, selecting it in the category field for a transaction will create a transfer between the current account and the 2651 one. That's why you would see the transaction in both places: first the money leaving one account, and then the 'other side' of the transaction where the money comes into the other account. Deleting either side of the transaction would necessarily delete the other half of it in the other account.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by gil_woolley on 28 Jan, 2019 10:10 PM

Ethan,

I am only able to download to my old credit card account. All other entries have to be manual. I have to use the New Transaction menu item and fill in all the data.

I have not been obtaining any format file from the bank. I open the bank account online and then manually make the entries. I sure wish that I could download the entries to the new credit card account but I believe that MoneyDance has some sort of a loggerheads with BOA about downloading new accounts.

I looked into Categories.
    I have one category named Mariposa Rental. Expense - Tax Related.
    As you observed, one of my accounts (checking) is named Mariposa Rental 9524
    The other new account (credit card) is named 2651 Rental Mariposa CC

I think you are telling me that I need to either rename Mariposa Rental 9524 or else to rename the category Mariposa Rental.

Which do you recommend? Will a simple renaming of one or the other solve the problem or will I have to create a new account with the name changed sufficiently to not confuse MoneyDance? And then delete the account with the name which is too similar to the category?

Fortunately, the two new accounts are about 3 months old and do not have an impossible number of entries.

Am I missing out on a feature which MoneyDance can employ? Could I export data from BOA into a file which then could be entered into MoneyDance? The only import I've ever done into MoneyDance was when I abandoned Quicken years ago and switched to Moneydance. If so, which format should I look to use on my BOA online browser?

Regards,

Gil Woolley

6. 6 Posted by gil_woolley on 01 Feb, 2019 01:22 AM

Ethan,

I think your clues have solved my problem.

I renamed the accounts so they did not include the category Rental Mariposa anymore. The entries stopped jumping from one account to the other.

Thank you.

Gil

7. 7 Posted by Ethan on 01 Feb, 2019 01:27 AM

Hi Gil,

I'm glad to hear you figured it out! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

8. Ethan closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2019 01:27 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac