Another personal update on TD Bank connectivity

zrob

07 Jan, 2019 07:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I downloaded Banktivity and configured it to connect directly to TD Bank and download transactions. As a part of this, I have to have the app try the connection. Doing so enables TD Bank to create a "Quicken Profile" for the application. Banktivity triggers a Quicken Windows 2016. Once I approve the connection on TD Bank's website, Banktivity downloads the transactions without a problem. Quicken works in a similar manner. Attempt the connection. Approve it. Go back to Quicken and download transactions.

Maybe IK needs to find out how Quicken and Banktivity trigger the creation of a "Quicken Profile" at TD Bank.

Robert

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 08 Jan, 2019 04:13 PM

Hi Robert,
    Thank you for this update - it should be very helpful to our other TD Bank customers. It seems like something has changed because in the past we couldn't even establish a connection to the TD Bank servers, but that seems to no longer be an issue in my tests just now. We'll get a mention of this added to our knowledge base to make it easier to find in the future, and I've re-added the TD Bank entry to the downloadable list of available connections.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by zrob on 08 Jan, 2019 04:23 PM

Sean,

Thank you for your post. I think you may have misunderstood part of my post. Do not add TD Bank back on the list of downloadable connections. Although the connection doesn't get rejected or cause an error, Moneydance still doesn't actually download the transactions. Quicken and Banktivity both connect and download the transactions. Moneydance just connects and that's it.

Robert

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Sean Reilly on 08 Jan, 2019 04:42 PM

Hi Rob,
    Did you mention that Moneydance already had the transactions (possibly from downloaded qfx/ofx file)? If so, that would explain why they wouldn't be downloaded when you subsequently connected directly.

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

4. 4 Posted by zrob on 08 Jan, 2019 05:17 PM

Hi Sean,

My process is as follows:

Transactions are sometimes manually entered or downloaded. Moneydance always downloads the transactions regardless. I manually merge them as necessary.

To test your theory, I deleted a transaction from our TD Bank account in Moneydance. I had Moneydance connect to TD Bank and try to download transactions. It connected but didn't download anything.

It should have downloaded the transaction I deleted since I know it is in our account at TD Bank. Then again, It should have downloaded the transaction even if I hadn't deleted it. I would have just had to merge my manual entry with the downloaded entry.

Hope that clarifies.

Robert

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 08 Jan, 2019 08:04 PM

Hi Rob,

That's not quite how the downloads work though. If the transactions had already been downloaded (even if just via a downloaded+imported file) then Moneydance may have had a marker date saying that it was up-to-date until a certain point. That would mean that subsequent connections would only request transactions on or after that date. Moneydance does usually increase that date window by a couple of days, but it would be inefficient to download all possible transactions each time it reconnected. So while this may still be a problem, deleting a transaction and then trying the download again isn't necessarily evidence that something is wrong.

Would it be possible to display the console window (via the Help menu) and then try a download from TD Bank? If the console window is open when the download is requested it will show both the request to and response from TD Bank. Hopefully there actually will be a response!

Thanks,
    Sean

Reply: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>(mailto:[email blocked])

6. 6 Posted by zrob on 08 Jan, 2019 08:15 PM

Hi Sean,

I did another test and the same thing happened with a different transaction. In both cases, Moneydance neither downloaded nor imported the transactions in question. So, while what you're saying makes sense, it doesn't apply this time 'round.

I did open the console window but it just goes on and on and on listing what appears to be transactions. I keep expecting it to stop but it doesn't at all. It's as if the console is going through the details of each transaction I've made in Moneydance since I started using it in 2010!

I'd love to give you the info you requested but I don't know when the app will display it in the console. Even if it does, I might not catch it because it may get mixed up with all of the other info being listed in it.

Robert

7. System closed this discussion on 09 Apr, 2019 08:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac