Keeps downloading old transactions

krugershop2

24 Jan, 2019 12:54 AM

On 1/1 I set up a new file. I set up my Bank Account with the opening balance as of 1/1/19. I set up online banking for my checking account (and others)) at my bank. When I click on Download All accounts, in the checking account I get approximately two years of transactions for 2017 and 2018, all of which are already reflected in the opening balance. I have to then go through and delete each individual transaction. This has happened 2-3 times now, and is a major pain. How can I set up things so Moneydance only downloads transactions posted since my last download?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 24 Jan, 2019 02:07 AM

just a user,

I think the problem is caused by the way the download protocols are processed. Normally, MD will create new "unconfirmed" transactions for every transaction downloaded that does not appear in your register. There is no option in MD to ignore downloaded transactions before a certain date, so once you removed the old transactions, it will create a new one if it shows up in a download again. I think Direct Connect retrieves as much transaction history as the bank allows, so unless MD provides an option to filter dates, then I think you are out of luck. But recently I did some testing related to a comment from MD support about the database size increasing when old transactions are deleted. I found that to be true. That is the way many databases work in fact requiring you to run utilities to purge the database periodically as needed. I expect at some point MD will provide a method to do just that and possibly add options to filter the download files. But in the meantime, it's best to leave your old transactions in place so your database will not fill up with old database management junk and the bank downloads will quit re-creating the old transactions.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Tom Freeman on 24 Jan, 2019 02:11 AM

Which banks are you trying to download? Md is coded so that once transactions are downloaded they are date stamped so deleted transactions shouldn't download again. Unfortunately some banks re-date the download to the current date which circumvents this.

My suggestion is to adjust the opening balance to reflect the download.

If there are manual or imported transactions that are duplicates, if they can't be merged with the downloads, the those can be deleted. If there are a number of these, sorting by one of the columns to try and gather then group delete.

Getting set up sometimes takes a little tweaking, but once done things should go smoothly.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by krugershop2 on 06 Feb, 2019 10:49 PM

Your advice re duplicate downloads seems to work. However, I found I needed to make a second adjustment entry to reconcile balances in mid-January (after checking all uncleared, unreconciled, etc.). I had this problem in my prior file. I’ll see what happens at the next reconciliation. If I need another adjustment, I may need to contact you again.

In the meantime, thanks to both of you for your help. (And to mhoggie for a database explanation. )

4. System closed this discussion on 08 May, 2019 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac