Is there a way to download online bank categories?

andrewpborchardt

31 Jan, 2019 01:33 AM

When downloading transactions from online banks is there any way to also download the categories or have Moneydance intelligently decide what category to put each transaction into?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 31 Jan, 2019 01:50 AM

I'm a fellow user.

As user has reported that he can download CSV files that include a category, however how a bank would get categories right is beyond me as they have limited information.

Automatic downloads use the OFX/QFX protocol. This protocol has no provision for category information.

QIF files are used for many manual downloads but I have not seen a bank that includes category information (again how would they really know).

With any downloaded transaction you run through a confirmation process where you select categories and confirm the transaction, over time from these confirmed transactions Moneydance will do a correlation and suggest a category for a new transaction being imported, generally it does a pretty decent job of this.

2. 2 Posted by stantowianski on 01 Feb, 2019 04:24 PM

Hi. Using this free csv importer
    https://github.com/stant/mdcsvimporter2015

it can import categories, memo, description as long as your bank or credit card sends you that data in the *.csv file. You are getting whatever categories they decide to use though. I know some credit cards provide them. There are a number of discussions in here on how to set this plugin up also.

3. System closed this discussion on 03 May, 2019 04:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac