Funny Vanguard Downloading of Brokerage CD's

whitedavidp

13 Feb, 2019 08:26 PM

I am not sure I can fully characterize this issue. I hold several brokerage CDs in my Vanguard accounts. When I download buy and sell transactions, the share quantities and prices are not correct - however the total face value is correct. Without manually having sorted/edited this all out, it creates issues - like have the portfolio view show I still own a CD which has matured (been sold).

At Vanguard, brokerage CDs are sold in increments of $1,000. So to get a $150,000 CD you purchase a quantity of 150, $1,000 "shares". However, when a buy for this is downloaded and processed into MD, I end up with a record showing 150,000 shares at $1. See attached screenshot.

I am not 100% sure but I think this MAY be due to data contained in the download from Vanguard. In the console windows after the download I find this for the transaction:

<UNITS>150000.0
<UNITPRICE>100.0
<TOTAL>-150000.0

But even this is confusing as it looks like the unit price is $100 but I may be mis-interpreting all this.

Anyone able to clarify all this?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Feb, 2019 08:54 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It looks like rubbish data to me, based on what you are saying I would expect the OFX data to look like:

<UNITS>150.0
    <UNITPRICE>1000.0
    <TOTAL>-150000.0

What I believe is happening (this is based on what I see with manual input) Moneydance is taking the total value and the number of units provided as being correct and working out the unit price that makes the equation Price * Units = Total Cost work.

This makes sense, when you buy an investment you know how much money it cost and you known how many units you received, so it is logical that the price per unit is the floating value if anything needs to change. This is especially so in the case of funds where you normal buy X dollars worth.

2. 2 Posted by whitedavidp on 13 Feb, 2019 09:04 PM

Thanks. I think you are right about the crappy data from Vanguard. When I look at the purchase transaction details on their website, I see the 2nd attached. It shows quantity of 150,000.0000 at $100.00 and this makes no sense to me either. Obviously, price * quantity cannot be applied here as one would expect. However, it does "match" the downloaded data shown in my original post. I guess that save Vanguard "fixing" this, I have no option but to keep on fighting this and manually re-editing all the time for buy/sell of such things. Cheers!

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 13 Feb, 2019 09:15 PM

Yes the second screen show implies 1500 units at $100 per unit and buying in multiples of $100 would not be unreasonable either, but it looks like the downloaded data is a real mix; we will take the total value and then take the number of units as if the price is $1 (or it is we take the number of units as equal to total value) but we put down a unit price of $100. So who would know what they are actually doing.

To me it looks like garbage.

4. 4 Posted by whitedavidp on 13 Feb, 2019 09:57 PM

I agree. I do know for sure that in this case purchases must be in multiples of $1,000 and there generally is a minimum $10,000 to buy anything at all.

Because it seems that Vanguard updates "share price" on these based upon a $100 per share initial value (treated as bonds, these can vary over time based upon their value in the secondary market as interest rates change), I have decided to use $100 as the "price" and computed "shares" so that the overall value is correct.

Kind of a pain. But certainly not MS's fault. Cheers!

5. System closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 10:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac