Comma in Description Field for CSV import

mccloskeyp

17 Feb, 2019 08:05 PM

Hello

I noticed an error when importing a CSV file from my bank. If the Description field itself has a comma in it then the whole transaction is skipped without any error message.

Example:

"OOMA, INC","**** 3461","02/05/2019","12:00 AM","-9.70"

Paul

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 17 Feb, 2019 11:46 PM

Hi Paul,

The way that I understand it is that if a comma is enclosed in quotes, (as is the case with "OOMA, INC") then the comma should be ignored. I'm not sure if Moneydance's built-in importer ever handled this situation properly though.

Personally, I use a free, third-party CSV Importer designed specifically for Moneydance that properly ignores the comma between OOMA & INC. I was able to successfully import your example transaction using the CSV Importer.

If you are interested, you can download it directly from the developer's website here:
    https://github.com/stant/mdcsvimporter2015/releases

There is a 'How to use it' link at the bottom of the page.

It works with MD 2015 ~ 19

If you need any help with it, let me know and I'll try to lend a hand.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by mccloskeyp on 18 Feb, 2019 02:04 PM

Thank you Kevin.

I installed the pluggin, read the How-to but can't get my head around the File Reader configuration.
    Attached screen shot of the Import dialog box

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 Feb, 2019 03:33 PM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the screenshot.

Per your screenshot, it looks as though you've created a custom reader named MyCSV.

I'll give you the settings that I used to import your example transaction. I'm in a Windows environment so my screenshots may appear slightly different than yours.

Download a CSV file from your bank to your 'Downloads' folder.

From the Moneydance Menu bar, go to Extensions > Import File.

When the main screen of the CSV Importer opens, click the 'Maintain Custom File Readers' button.

In the resulting window, set up the custom reader per my screenshot. (Paul_CustomReader.jpg)

Although you've already named your custom reader 'MyCSV', I'll include the following paragraph for informational purposes...
    For the 'Reader Name' you can, of course, name the reader whatever is informative to you. I chose 'Paul'. Enter the desired name and click the 'Add' button. The name that you just entered should now be listed in the 'List of Readers' section.

Leave the 'Filename Matcher' field as is. .*.(csv|CSV)

Continue by making sure to enter the proper Date Format: MM/dd/yyyy

Number of Header Lines: 0
    (your example transaction had no header but make sure to check if your bank's CSV file does or does not and make the appropriate entry)

Number of Footer Lines: 0 (again, check your bank's CSV)
    CSV Field Separator: ,
    File Encoding: UTF-8
    Decimal Sign: .
    Set Fields 1 ~ 5 as indicated in the screenshot.

When you've completed setting up the custom reader, click 'Save' and 'Done'.

(Back at the main screen of the CSV Importer)

Make sure that the proper File Reader is selected (for when you have more than one Custom Reader)

You should then be able to click the 'Find Import File(s) for this Reader' button. If clicking that button does not populate the 'File' field then click the [...] button to navigate to your CSV file.

Make sure that the proper Account is selected to import the file into.

For the 'Import Transaction As' option, I generally use the 'Online' option. You can experiment with that and see which option serves you best.

Look things over, make sure everything is correct.

Click, the 'Preview Import' button.

A preview window will open. Provided there are no 'red' or 'yellow' flagged txns listed in the preview, you can go ahead and click the 'Process' button.

The first time that you run the CSV Importer, there may be some informational message that pops up. I forget exactly what it reads but you should look that over. You'll then receive a message indicating the number of imported items as well as other information relevant to the imported txn(s).

That should do it.

Let me know how you make out. OK?

4. 4 Posted by mccloskeyp on 18 Feb, 2019 04:15 PM

That did the trick Kevin,

Thanks so much for your time!

Paul

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 Feb, 2019 05:53 PM

Hi Paul,

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that it worked.

Thank you for reporting back with your results.

How do you like OOMA? I've been using Magic Jack for our home land-line for close to 15 years now and I'm really happy with it. It runs just under $40.00 US a-year.

6. 6 Posted by mccloskeyp on 19 Feb, 2019 02:07 PM

I liked Ooma. Used it to receive and make calls from an iPad when I didn't have a cell phone. That required premium plan. Regular is 3.65 US /month. Canadian and US free long distance.

Thanks again Kevin,
    Paul

7. System closed this discussion on 21 May, 2019 02:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac