MBNA Card transactions reversed after site change

flying.boy

07 Mar, 2019 10:34 AM

Moneydance 2017.8 (1678) Mac OSX HighSierra 10.13.6 Long-time user.

Recently the credit card company did a major redesign of their website. Down loading transactions as either a .csv file or as a .qif now has the Debits/Credits reversed compared with before they changed the site.

I reported this to their Customer Services people who said they would refer it to their Development team. That was 10 days ago and nothing seems to have changed.

Can someone else with access to the MBNA site with their own account please try this to confirm/contradict my experience? If confirmed, perhaps an independent referral to MBNA?

I haven't updated my MD software recently (works, don't fix) so it isn't a MD version issue (probably). Something changed at MBNA.

Thanks
David

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by flying.boy on 23 Mar, 2019 10:11 AM

Thank you Jagnut for the confirmation - I was wondering if it was just me.

I wonder if I can prevail upon you to report this as a Complaint to MBNA? If you get involved with a first-level Denier, tell them the problem has been reported by someone else under a reference number 14169858. Or you can short-circuit the whole process by just phoning a ‘me too’ comment to my techie at MBNA. He gave me the reference number. Name is Nathan Evans. His direct phone line is 01244 757128 and you can often key in his direct extension code 1582698 to get straight to his desk.

So happy it is not just me ….

David

PS DO NOT PHONE NATHAN! See my post of 27/3
    --
    I try to remain focused but I can't shake one nagging thought:
    I am an old dog and this is a new trick.

2. 32 Posted by Neil on 23 Mar, 2019 04:21 PM

Already reported

3. 33 Posted by mark_young on 25 Mar, 2019 04:42 PM

I noticed this reversal today. The problem is that value in the .QIF file is T4.00 when it should be T-4.00. This is what switches it from debit to credit. I've just rung Nathan who took my details and was extremely helpful.
    If you want to work with the .QIF files right now, before they are fixed, you can save the file. Open it in notepad. Change the Tx values to T-x and vice versa the T-x to Tx. Then you can import it and the transactions should be correctly shown.
    For reference here is the QIF specification page on Wikipedia where it confirms that a payment should be presented as a negative number.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format
    See the Details Items section in the table code T says 'Amount of the item. For payments, a leading minus sign is required.'

Hopefully this will get resolved.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. 34 Posted by flying.boy on 25 Mar, 2019 05:13 PM

Thanks for that, Mark. I found it easier to use the .csv file to edit and re-import, but each to his own(!)

I’m interested to know in what way Nathan at MBNA was helpful (nay, extremely helpful). Has he accepted that there is an error? Has he promised to fix it? Did he indicate what will happen next?

Still very frustrated, but it helps to know I have company.

David

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.

5. 35 Posted by flying.boy on 25 Mar, 2019 05:22 PM

Thanks Mark. Nice to know I’m not alone.

I’m curious to know what made you say that Nathan at MBNA was extremely helpful …

Did he just suggest the workaround, or has he confirmed that there is a problem at MBNA and it will be fixed?

KBO

David

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.

6. 36 Posted by mark_young on 27 Mar, 2019 03:30 PM

Hi David,
    Nathan took ownership of this issue when I rang him out of the blue mentioning the details you provided above. That was particularly impressive given that I'd rung the main customer services helpline, that was shown on the MBNA website, earlier in the day and they'd basically said 'That's the way it is. We can't help you'.
    By contrast Nathan was willing to listen and engage.
    He has given me a reference number that is linked to me, rather than yours, and made contact with the technical team. They have requested I provide step by step instructions and details of the problem. Which I will aim to do later today. Once they receive those details they will investigate further and I'm hoping they agree to change sign of the amount in the QIF file.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. 37 Posted by mark_young on 27 Mar, 2019 03:41 PM

BTW apologies. I've only just discovered and read page 1 of this discussion thread. So I'm sorry for the repetition in what I said.

8. 38 Posted by flying.boy on 27 Mar, 2019 03:47 PM

Hi Mark

I am impressed!

Both by your perseverance and by Nathan taking ownership.

If there is any realism at MBNA, this should be sorted soon.

David

9. 39 Posted by flying.boy on 27 Mar, 2019 05:54 PM

FROM THE OP:

I've just taken a phone call from a guy (Chris) at MBNA who is in a position to see that the issue is put where it can make a difference, and he has a) understood the issue and
    b) undertaken to contact me when there is any kind of progress.

I believe him and I await his call.

Meanwhile he has begged me to remove Nathan from the 'contact list', as fielding this query is not part of his duties and he is getting sidetracked.

So PLEASE, despite what we have written before, DO NOT PHONE NATHAN!

I will keep this forum updated with any progress.

Thank you.

David

10. 40 Posted by mark_young on 27 Mar, 2019 09:29 PM

Hi David,

That's great news. I have emailed the details requested to them too. If anyone asks the reference number I've been given is 14190032. Fingers crossed Chris can get this resolved. I do hope they appreciate that Nathan is the one that has made sure this got the attention it needed.

Cheers,
    Mark

11. 41 Posted by Gerald Ponting on 28 Mar, 2019 08:25 AM

Greatly appreciate efforts to resolve this.

I had it on my list to 'phone Nathan at MBNA' today, so have now crossed
    this off and will await developments!

Gerald

12. 42 Posted by dwg on 28 Mar, 2019 08:44 AM

In my view a bank has only got itself to blame if it takes contacting the wrong person to get something done, their customer facing team failed to handle the problem correctly so they should take a look at themselves in the mirror and realise they caused this themselves.

If they complain about customers contacting a person they should not then they should be left in absolutely no doubt as to why it has happened.

13. 43 Posted by Mike Bray on 24 Apr, 2019 07:45 AM

I too have this problem. I have written a small extension to allow you to read an MBNA file and reverse the amounts prior to saving the transactions. You will find the extension here:
    https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2019/downloads/

It is called qifloader.mxt. Download it and use Manage Extensions/Add from file to load the extension. Hopefully it is self explanatory.

Note this is for MD 2019 only. I will work on a version for 2017.

Also, I have raised a complaint with MBNA and they recognise the issue and will keep me informed of any progress on fixing this.

Lastly, this extension has been tested with MD 2019 on Windows and I have received some sensible suggestions concerning improvements. I will be working on this and testing on Mac and Unix in early May.

14. 44 Posted by flying.boy on 24 Apr, 2019 08:02 AM

Thank you for the information, Mike. It is helpful that you have raised the complaint with MBNA. Like you I was taken seriously, but to date I have only received fortnightly ‘holding’ letters saying they are continuing to look into it.

As for work-arounds there are several ways to do it using a manipulation of a .csv file and your manipulation of the .qif file is bold! But unless there is a proper fix soon I shall be moving my accounts away from MBNA.

I’ll report to the forum if I ever hear anything substantive from MBNA.

KBO
    David

15. 45 Posted by Mike Bray on 24 Apr, 2019 08:22 AM

Thanks David, my extension does not manipulate the QI|F file it reads it, switches the values and then loads the transactions into Moneydance. It only works on Bank and Credit Card accounts. This extension bypasses the MD Import feature.

16. 46 Posted by Mike Bray on 24 Apr, 2019 10:19 AM

I have now compiled a version for MD 2015/17. It can be found at:

https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/downloads/

17. 47 Posted by Mike Bray on 24 Apr, 2019 11:56 AM

I have uploaded a new version for 2019, it has been tested on Unix and Mac.

https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2019/downloads/

18. 48 Posted by Mike Bray on 25 Apr, 2019 11:00 AM

Just spoken to the complaints manager at MBNA. He informed me that because MBNA has been taken over by Lloyds that this is how their systems work and they will not be changing the system. I informed him that they maybe loosing customers which he recognised but he could not offer anything.

19. 49 Posted by flying.boy on 25 Apr, 2019 11:26 AM

That’s bad news. I wonder if he knows, or is just following a party line he’s heard from someone who doesn’t know either.

I’ll wait so see how my own complaint is handled. If it is the same as yours, I may try bringing it to the attention of someone like the Guardian money page.

Anyway I’ve started looking elsewhere, to a non-Lloyds provider.

david
    --

If things get any worse,
       I'll have to ask you
         to stop helping me.

20. 50 Posted by dwg on 25 Apr, 2019 11:32 AM

Sign reversal problems with Lloyds downloads has been noted on the forums before, I found a reference in 2017 and one as far back as 2012.

21. 51 Posted by flying.boy on 19 May, 2019 10:19 AM

From the OP

Several weeks ago I submitted my bug report as an official complaint (via a telephone conversation) and after several 'holding' letters I was telephoned yesterday by my contact at MBNA, Chris.

Chris announced that my complaint has been upheld! They have accepted there is a problem and will fix it. Chris says the fix is 'non-trivial' and was unable to offer a timescale, except to say it has been addressed 'at the highest level".

Perseverance seems to be paying off, after weeks of doubting my sanity and creeping resignation.

I suspect that what got things moving was an upsurge of similar complaints. So if anyone reading is responsible for that, many thanks.

David I'll report again if/when the fix is in.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 May, 2019 10:00 PM
19 May, 2019 09:09 PM
19 May, 2019 08:36 PM