Downloading from Axos Bank broken

Tom

19 Mar, 2019 10:13 PM

In Moneydance (Version 2019.1 (1855) my daily downloading of transactions for checking and savings for Axos Bank (previously Bank of Internet) has been working perfectly for at least 2 years. Late last week I have been unable to download from the bank - I receive the following error :
The given customer ID or PIN is not valid. For more information, contact your financial institution.
Additional information from the server:
Signon Invalid

I contact Axos Bank and no-one has any idea. Plus there is no way to manually download a Quicken style file directly from Axos on line.

I am curious if anyone else using this bank is having any problems?

Thanks for your help.

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 19 Mar, 2019 10:22 PM

Hi Tom,

I've been monitoring posts for awhile and haven't seen mention of Axos.

I would first try downloading the latest preview version 2019.2 (1860) to see if it helps.

https://infinitekind.com/preview

Updates had been made to "OFX https server certificate validation fixes", etc.

Regards,

Tony (Not from MD Support)

2. 2 Posted by TonyRI on 19 Mar, 2019 10:27 PM

3. 3 Posted by david_nedved on 20 Mar, 2019 12:55 PM

Any updates here? I experienced the exact same thing starting about a week ago in 2017.8. There's another thread (also with no follow-up) where the user is saying that Axos is actually a combination of several banks now. I thought it was just a rebranding of BofI which I've been using seamlessly until last week for about 5 years or so.

4. 4 Posted by TonyRI on 20 Mar, 2019 01:14 PM

Hi David,

I think that the post that you are referring to was back in December:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/financial-institution-dire...

You and the OP have each stated that you've used it successfully up until recently.

Tom had been using MD 2019, I had suggested updating to the preview release version. He hadn't responded whether it had been resolved. You are now reporting that it also occurs with MD 2017.8.

I would give IK Support a bit more time to look at this as you have only just confirmed that it is still an issue. It could be some recent change at Axos

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 20 Mar, 2019 01:24 PM

Hi Tom,

OK, so you're using the connection labeled "Bank of Internet" in Moneydance? It can sometimes be that things are temporarily broken on the server side, especially with login issues. You'd be surprised how many fairly large banks operate with broken OFX servers for multiple days.

One thing to check is to open the moneydance console window (under the Help menu) and then try to download transactions. If the console window is visible, all messages sent to and received from their OFX server will be printed (with your password masked out). You can copy and paste that into a message here (we can make this thread private if you like) or email it to me directly at [email blocked]. You could also check to make sure that the login/customer ID in the message looks correct and doesn't have any spaces or other characters that might be causing the problem.

Thanks,

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

6. 6 Posted by Thomas Rappel on 20 Mar, 2019 06:29 PM

Sean,

Thanks for your response. Regarding this problem I am having - I truly suspect the problem is on the Axos side. So I am going to give Axos a few days and I’ll keep trying. If the problem continues I have no problem switching banks. Done it before I can do it again. As I said I’ve been using Axos for some years even back in the Bank of Internet days. Never a problem. So let’s give it a few days. I’ll let you know how things end up. Also as I was on their on-line banking webpage looking around I find no way to even manually download a quicken type QFX file. Their only download option is in an excel spreadsheet format. The only bank I’ve ever seen that didn’t have options for downloading. So again if this problem continues plus no way to download a QFX file then I’ll change banks.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

7. 7 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 Mar, 2019 08:03 PM

Hi Thomas,

If you want to keep up with your data until the problem is resolved or until you change banks; the Excel file format offered by your bank may likely be the CSV (comma-separated value) format which Moneydance can import via the Moneydance menu bar > File > Import... menu option.

If the Excel file is not CSV, you should still be able to open the file in Excel an Save it as a CSV file.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

8. 8 Posted by Thomas Rappel on 21 Mar, 2019 04:40 PM

I am wondering if this could be the problem I am experiencing - Axos Bank was Bank of Internet. In Moneydance when one sets up On Line Banking - New Connection and pick the bank - Axos is not on the list. Bank of Internet is but not Axos. Can this financial institution be added?

Tom

9. 9 Posted by Todd Baker on 26 Mar, 2019 05:59 PM

Axos Bank states that they no longer support Direct Connect. They said that third parties except for Intuit Quicken and Mint are blocked from accessing login information, but may have access to account information. I am not sure what that means for this issue, but it looks like Axos and MoneyDance won't play well with each other any more.

10. 10 Posted by TonyRI on 26 Mar, 2019 06:42 PM

Looks like -Kevin N's suggestion (above) is the way to go

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Jenny on 27 Mar, 2019 10:25 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered.

Unfortunately I can confirm Axos Bank and Bank of Internet have stopped supporting Direct Connect. Sorry I don't have better news.

Axos Bank continue to use other connection methods that Moneydance does not support, called Web Connect and Express Web Connect.
    By only using Direct Connect, we can guarantee that your username, password and financial data only ever exists with your bank or on your own personal computer, and at no point are your details stored on another server.
    You can read more about why we only support this connection type in our blog and also in this article.

Without Direct Connect, the best way to get your transactions into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download files from your bank's web site.
    We recommend you download using the OFX or QFX file format if either of these are available. If not, use the QIF file format. Excel/CSV files can also be imported, but the import process is a little more involved.

If the Excel format is the only download format available, you should do as Kevin has suggested to import your data. If the file downloads in the CSV format, this file can be imported using File --> Import. If you download an Excel file, open it with spreadsheet software like Excel or Numbers, export to CSV, then import the CSV file to Moneydance.
    During the CSV import process, you'll assign the columns within your file to the relevant transaction fields.
    Let me know if you encounter any problems importing the file to Moneydance and we can troubleshoot the issues.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

12. System closed this discussion on 26 Jun, 2019 10:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac