Unable to connect to BB&T

Tom

01 Apr, 2019 05:18 PM

I am using an evaluation copy of Moneydance 2019. I wanted to switch over from Quicken not that it is going to a subscription service. The export from Quicken went OK. I didn't read up on the full set of instructions so I imported the Quicken information having checked both data and account, category and other information at the same time. Everything came over but only one of my checking accounts included all of my transactions -- the other accounts only transferred the opening balances. Oh Well.

Then I tried to set up online banking. I have Direct Connect with both my Citi Credit Card and my BB&T checking accounts. The Citi Credit cards updated without any problem. The BB&T gave me an error reporting that BB&T would have to register the process. The error message also provided BB&T's Support Phone number.

I contacted BB&T and they told me that they will only authorize connections from Quicken. I was not talking directly to the person from Tech support so it wasn't as seamless as I would have liked. But my interpretation was that they would going to allow a connection from Money Dance even if it were possible because they don't support it.

Don't know if you can do anything to resolve the problem but I thought I would let you know what BB&T is telling their customers.

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 01 Apr, 2019 05:47 PM

Hi Tom,

I wonder what would happen if you called back and used the wording suggested in the Knowledge Base article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/d...

Specifically :

"Please enable Direct Connect on my account so that I can connect to your servers directly with Quicken. Also give me the login credentials I need to connect to this service."

I have heard that some banks now require some sort of Quicken Authorization Code and Limit their OFX server connections to Quicken and Intuit Mint. However, when I first contacted my Credit Union, the first person told me a similar story to yours, however, when I was connected to online banking tech support, there was no problem getting the USER ID and PIN necessary to directly connect my account. I even told that person that I was using Moneydance and they didn't care, they just hadn't heard of it.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Tony (NOT from MD Support)

2. 2 Posted by Tom Pollack on 01 Apr, 2019 11:11 PM

Typically, when I am dealing with something like this and I don't get the
    answer I want, I am polite, hang up, and call again. I think if I kept
    calling back, I would eventually get the right person on the phone. But it
    took almost an hour today going through two different people and I never
    got a chance to talk to the tech person directly. Its just too time
    consuming.

Tom

3. 3 Posted by TonyRI on 01 Apr, 2019 11:13 PM

Ah, okay. I totally understand.

Thanks for getting back and take care,

Tony :)

4. 4 Posted by Tom Pollack on 01 Apr, 2019 11:40 PM

Tony:

Also thanks for responding so quickly to my initial request.

I liked what I saw of Money Dance and I'm disappointed I couldn't make the
    Direct Connect work with BB&T.

Tom

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Apr, 2019 07:43 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

Two thoughts.
    If your bank is not helpful find a bank that is.

Better idea.
    Try signing in to your bank and download a file of your transactions. Moneydance supports file type QFX, OFX, OFC or QIF files (aka Quicken or MS Money files) in descending order of preference, see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/m...

It’s the way I do it, lot less problems. Your two hours spent on the phone would have covered years of downloading files.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by TonyRI on 02 Apr, 2019 09:51 AM

You're welcome Tom and thanks for adding your thoughts Derek.

It's funny, because when I wanted to get rid of Quicken, I started using Moneydance and realized that the Credit Union I belonged to did not support direct connect. I had (back in 2015) requested that they be added to the list of Supported Financial Institutions https://infinitekind.com/fi . Consequently, I would perform manual downloads, but I still liked the way that I could do that "One Click Download" stuff with Q. Anyway... long story short I decided to look at the list to see which local FI's were supported. I ended up switching CU's, and (without getting into details) realized how crappy my old one actually was. I'm an old fart and I'm not that crazy about change, but here was a case where change WAS the best choice!

7. 7 Posted by Tom Pollack on 04 Apr, 2019 05:43 PM

Tony:

I am a bit of an old fart too. I can still do change, just don't enjoy as
    much as I used to. I like Quicken and wouldn't be looking to change except
    for their switch to an annual subscription.

Though my copy of Moneydance is evaluative only, I imported from Quicken
    years worth of customized categories. I wouldn't have been able to do that
    when I am forced next month to go to Quicken 2019. So I am keeping my
    moneydance with the imported categories and if I can get BB&T to honor the
    Direct Connection they already have, I'll switch over.

Tom

8. 8 Posted by TonyRI on 04 Apr, 2019 10:22 PM

Good Luck! :)

9. System closed this discussion on 04 Jul, 2019 10:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Jul, 2019 05:28 PM
21 Jul, 2019 05:08 PM
21 Jul, 2019 01:55 PM