transaction reminders and register

sajohnson795

19 Jun, 2019 09:13 PM

I am currently having a problem with transaction reminders and online bill pay. For example: I set up a transaction reminder for online bill payment of life insurance. I paid the bill via online bill payment accessed through reminders calendar. At this point, I would expect for it to be placed in the register with an orange/yellow bar to the left of the date and the reminder to be removed from the upcoming list as well as grayed out on the calendar. None of these things occurred; there is no record in the register and it still shows up in the reminders and calendar. The only place it show up is in the "outbox" tab in the "online bill payment" window. I double checked with my bank and it has been placed in their bill payment system and is awaiting payment on the proper date. Is this a glitch or a setting I need to change?

If not would you please consider updating your program so that pending payments show in the register with a future date. It seems that if I have paid the bill, it should definitely be removed from reminders as well to prevent confusion over whether it needs to be completed.
Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Henry on 20 Jun, 2019 11:47 AM

Hi Sonja,

Thank you for contacting us.
    Do you have 'Auto-commit' enabled within the reminder and within your preferences?

Also would it be possible for you to let me know which version and build number of Moneydance you currently have installed?
    To do this, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

--
    Henry, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by sajohnson795 on 20 Jun, 2019 04:41 PM

Hello Henry,
    I have version 2019.2 (1868) currently installed.
    I do not currently have "Auto-commit" enabled. Wouldn't that have the effect of entering the transaction even if I don't send it to the bank to be paid?

Sonja

3. 3 Posted by sajohnson795 on 20 Jun, 2019 09:48 PM

Henry,
     Further information: The date of the online bill has now passed. When I downloaded information from the bank, the transaction is also downloaded and is awaiting confirmation, but it is still show in the reminders as not completed. Upon selecting the transaction downloaded from the bank, there is no transaction suggested to merge it with and none of the category information from the transaction reminder has been applied.
     Hopefully this helps figure out the problem.
    Thank you,
    Sonja

4. 4 Posted by Henry on 24 Jun, 2019 12:11 PM

It is necessary to open the transaction reminder and enable Auto-commit there, then enable auto-commit in the preferences, once this is completed, the transaction will be automatically entered into your account register.

We can check the outbox to see the current state of the transaction.

You can find the "Outbox" by selecting "Online/Online Bill Payment" you should see a pop-up window titled "Online Bill Payment" this window will have "Outbox".

What is the status displayed in the Outbox?

"will process" or "processed" would indicate that the transaction is on the bank's server.

--

5. 5 Posted by sajohnson795 on 25 Jun, 2019 08:28 PM

Henry,

I have checked the Outbox and 2 transactions, one of which is the life
    insurance bill from the original query, are still showing as "in process"
    although they have cleared the bank several days ago.
    I have enabled "auto-commit" and tested it with a new online bill. I can
    not, however, trust that it has gone through the bank because the "Outbox"
    doesn't seem to reflect reality, so I have to log in to my bank and find
    out if it is scheduled on their server. I have refreshed the "outbox".
    any other suggestiions?
    I do see that bills paid through the bank's online bill pay system show up
    in the "outbox" as will process. By way of recommendation, it would be
    nice to have a way for those transactions submitted through the bank to be
    recorded in the register, not just the outbox, while they are waiting to be
    paid, something like accepting a pending transaction.

Thank you,
    Sonja

6. 6 Posted by sajohnson795 on 25 Jun, 2019 08:45 PM

A further question about "auto-commit": Does it automatically enter the transaction if the date has passed and send the online bill? Or does it just automatically show up in the register after that date without sending the bill?
    The answer may allow me to know how to best use the program.

Thanks (again),
    Sonja

7. 7 Posted by sajohnson795 on 08 Jul, 2019 04:30 PM

As I have had no response recently, I am going to start again. My online bill pay is nearly unusable now due to glitches and there are so many problems that it takes triple the amount of time to simple send an online payment. I am going to start a new public discussion in case my issues help anyone else.

8. 8 Posted by Henry on 08 Jul, 2019 06:07 PM

Hi Sonja,

I apologize for the delay of the response, I have missed your last message.
    Both "will process" or "processed" in the bill pay outbox indicate that the transaction is on the bank's server, beyond that nothing else is done from the side of Moneydance.
    As your current setup seems to be correct, the only option I can advise is to update your current version to the latest available version, as it includes multiple bug fixes.

Before updating, I recommend creating a backup (File > Export Backup) and then downloading and installing the new version from here:
    https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

--

9. 9 Posted by sajohnson795 on 12 Jul, 2019 03:12 PM

I updated and so far it has worked. Hopefully it will stay that way. I will close the discussion. Thank you, Henry

10. sajohnson795 closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2019 03:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac