transactions downloaded from vanguard don't import correctly

onlynone

07 Nov, 2019 05:32 PM

When I download transactions from vanguard I have the following problems:

• Several transactions auto-associate with one of my checking accounts as the 'other side' of the transaction. I have no idea why it's doing that.
  • That problem happens with some of my other investment accounts, but for reason when I select all of them and batch change the category to Miscellaneous (or even a new dummy bank account I created just to take these transactions) since it looks like they need to have an 'other side' or category, it won't actually change. They stay with the random checking account as the category/other side.
  • The transaction history and security price history is littered with $100.00/share price points for a bunch of the securities. This happens even though when I look at a transaction's details, it has something like "invst.shareprice" = "58.49"
  • The most troublesome transactions are imported as 'SellXfr'. These are investment fees where, I guess, vanguard auto-sells some of my shares to cover the fee. But it doesn't do a 'normal' sell followed by debiting my account for the same amount. It shows up as one transaction. The transaction details look like:

"invst.xferdir" = "OUT"
    "invst.ofxtxntype" = "TRANSFER"

• A solution would be to change all of these transactions to 'regular' Sells and create new debit transactions periodically to sweep out the funds charged by vanguard (this would have the advantage of showing how much I'm being charged in fees)

• The problem with this is that Moneydance doesn't allow me to batch change the 'Action' in the register.
  • Another solution would be to have a transaction importer that automatically split a SellXfr to a Sell and a MiscExp or Xfr (but without auto assigning the category to one of my checking accounts)

1. 1 Posted by moneydancez on 05 Feb, 2020 01:07 PM

I am having this same problem with the fees. They all transfer to a Bank Account that I have in MD that happens to be the first alphabetically. All of these transactions that are coming in are also shown as 100 for share price.

If MD could set the Transfer to Fees, this would be sufficient for me. In my case it happens every quarter and there are about 16 of these entries that I have to go and manually change. Or even if the Batch were able to change the Transfer field.

I am using MD 2019.3

2. 2 Posted by avp2 on 21 Feb, 2020 08:30 PM

You may be able to fix some wrong "other side"/balance account/category designations by setting the default category (account setup, tools>accounts>select acct>edit) to the one you use for xor transactions. Still, it would be nice if the security reconcile function worked like the one for checking to provide a selection of past assignments to choose from.

If I remember correctly, the $100 per share price is a default value for transactions that do not debit, or credit, the account register balance. Don't know why it has been chosen, but I just ignore it and it does not normally show in the price history chart.

I think transaction type (action) is controlled by the transaction sending institution and would be hard to second guess by MD.

3. System closed this discussion on 22 May, 2020 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac