New Apple Card

chris_hardin

14 Nov, 2019 01:27 AM

OK - so I already know the answer to this question / comment, but wanted to at least throw it out there for the developers to consider for the future. I'm a long-term Apple/Macintosh user, so it just made sense to try out the new Apple credit card. It's nicely integrated with the iPhone Wallet app, but there is one significant down-side: there is no online access to the account. All I can do is see a list of transactions on my phone, and once a month, Apple will send me a PDF with a listing of all the transactions.

In the long-run, I'd like to be able to import these credit card transactions into MoneyDance just like for any other card. If you see or hear anything from Goldman Sachs (the card issuer) about the potential for online access, please let us know. Right now I'm stuck entering card transactions one at a time. If I get real ambitious, maybe I'll write something to parse the PDF file and convert to a CSV, which can then be uploaded. Who knows.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 14 Nov, 2019 02:19 PM

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

As unfortunately, Apple Card does not support third party integration services, at this time, it's not possible to download transactions.
    If they begin to support third party integration services, at any point, we'd be happy to make it happen.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by hleofxquotes on 16 Nov, 2019 06:06 PM

@chris_hardin

Can you contact me at hleofxquotes at gmail dot com?

I have a small tool/code that I am using that I can share. If others are interested, please send email.

The tool/code is not ready for general use yet. I can parse/read payments, transactions but not interest. I don't have sample of how the "Interest Charged" table look like. So if you have a statement with "Interest Charged" and are willing to share (just that page), will be appreciated.

Best,

3. 3 Posted by hleofxquotes on 01 Dec, 2019 06:33 PM

I've released ac2ofx, a tool to generate OFX file for Apple Card transactions. That will make it possible to import Apple Card transactions into Moneydance.

For more information, please see: https://ac2ofx.github.io/ac2ofx/

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 Dec, 2019 02:02 PM

Hi Chris,

I should mention that hleofxquotes' program is not affiliated with Moneydance so we can't be responsible for it, but it does seem to be the only way (currently) to pull transaction data out of Apple Card statements.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

5. 5 Posted by chris_hardin on 03 Dec, 2019 01:45 AM

Noted Sean - but I am curious if you guys have at least tried it out?

In particular, since I would expect you guys have much more expertise at this question than me - do you agree it generates a valid OFX file that MoneyDance should handle without problems when I import it? I've reviewed the text of the file and compared it to other OFX files I have locally, and everything looked reasonable. But as I said, I'm no expert on the underlying standards for creating those files.

Thanks,

Chris

(Let me know if you want/need official PDF's from Apple for testing.)

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Dec, 2019 08:07 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Chris.

I have used a number of extensions created by hleofxquotes and always found them reliable. I don’t have an Apple card to test, but a suggestion.

Do a EXPORT BACKUP and then RESTORE FROM BACKUP and test the extension. If things don’t work out you can revert to your original data set.

Hope this helps.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Sean Reilly on 03 Dec, 2019 09:23 AM

Hi Chris,

I haven't tried it out, but I do believe that hleofxquotes is a very capable developer and I would think that the OFX would be valid. I also try to make Moneydance be as lenient as possible, because even some of the biggest banks produce some really awful OFX. I'd guess that hleofxquotes' output is probably better than most :)

I personally avoid installing outside code as much as possbile because if we do end up adding the same or similar capability in Moneydance then our work should be done completely independently.

Thanks,
    Sean

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac