How do i backout a previous Bank Rec

mike.kolling's Avatar


03 Jan, 2020 08:51 AM

I have noticed that my Bank account is 1pence out from the bank after the last bank rec so i need to back it out and correct.
how do i do that?

  1. 1 Posted by Andrew on 03 Jan, 2020 09:16 AM

    Andrew's Avatar

    Hi Mike,

    We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

    The reconciled balances in Moneydance are calculated from:
    Initial Balance of the Account + Cleared Deposits - Cleared Payments

    To adjust the reconciled balance, you'll need to adjust one of these variables. Since your reconciled balance changed, that must mean that one of the following happened:
    1) Your account's starting balance changed
    2) One or more cleared transactions were either deleted, had their amount modified, or added
    3) One or more transactions were marked (or unmarked) as cleared

    Any one of the above would affect the reconciled/cleared balance of an account and could have caused the difference. Moneydance does display an extra confirmation/warning window when you try to do either 1 or 2 in the account's register.

    Also,if you had the Mark transactions as cleared when confirmed enabled, in the Network section of the Preferences window, and you performed a download and confirmed transactions with that setting enabled, then those confirmed transactions would have been marked as cleared, affecting the reconciled balance.

    So, to correct the problem properly, you'd need to reverse the root cause of the change in reconciled balance.
    You could also get the reconciled balance back to the correct value by simply entering an adjustment, either to the account's starting balance or by entering an adjustment transaction and marking it as cleared.

    Hopefully this information is useful. Do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

    Andrew, Infinite Kind Support

  2. System closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2020 09:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts


? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac