Importing OFX introduces transactions not in OFX file

Mike C.

30 Mar, 2020 06:30 PM

I've run into a problem with one of the credit card accounts in my Moneydance file (MoneyDance 2019.3 (1880) on MacOS 10.14.6). The account has not been up to date for quite a while, I have 48 monthly OFX files I've been importing one by one. The problem I am seeing is that after importing an OFX file, the transactions in it seem to be reprocessed during each subsequent import. For example:

I import 2016-Jan.ofx (100 transactions), during the import Moneydance reports "Downloading 100 transactions into <account>" in the lower-left corner. This looks good.

If I then import 2016-Feb.ofx (15 transactions), during the import Moneydance reports "Downloading 115 transactions into <account>". I'd expect it to process just 15 transactions, not 115.

If I then import 2016-Mar.ofx (125 transactions), during the import Moneydance reports "Downloading 240 transactions into <account>"

Moneydance does recognize that most of the transactions are duplicates and are silently discarded/merged. I'm (mostly) left with only the new transactions from the file I was actually importing. However there are two problems:

1) I'm now processing ofx files from 2019 and there are over 3000 ghost transactions that Moneydance must recognize as duplicates and this is taking a *long* time (relatively speaking. Realistically it's a few minutes, but long enough that I don't sit and wait for it to finish anymore). And it does this for each OFX import into this account.

2) At one point I accidentally imported an OFX file for another account into this problematic credit card account. Totally my fault. To clean it up I selected and deleted all of the mistake transactions and the ledger looked good. But now every time I import a new, correct, OFX file for this credit card the mistake transactions reappear and I have to manually delete them again. Note: this occurred after the problems started with this account, it didn't cause the problems.

It is as if Moneydance has some internal list of transactions pending import into this account and the list isn't being emptied when the import is finished. Importing more ofx files adds to the visible ledger but also adds to this hidden list. Things I've tried:

- Restarting Moneydance. No change.
- Restarting my computer. No change.
- Confirming the mistake transactions, restarting MoneyDance, then deleting the mistake transactions. No change, they still reappear on next import.
- Deleting the old ofx files that have already been imported (put in trash and "empty trash". No change.

I'd prefer not to delete & recreate the account because there are number of transfers into it from other accounts and fixing all of the cross-references will be a pain.

Any suggestions on what to try? Is there any more info I can provide? If it matters my .moneydance file is 398.2MB and Activity Monitor reports MoneyDance is using 780MB RAM.

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Mike C. on 30 Mar, 2020 06:33 PM

One more thing - the OFX files were downloaded to my computer and were being manually imported. I was not using direct download from the bank.

2. System closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2020 06:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac