Paying monthly bills

psilversmith

27 May, 2020 02:01 PM

My goal is to have MD automatically pay my repeating 1st of the month bills so that the funds are at the vendor on the first of each month. I repeatedly have asked whether auto-commit in reminders can do this for me automatically. I consistently get no response from you to my query, so I must assume it can not process the payments automatically. My experience just trying it out also seems auto-commit 5 days prior to the 1st does not process the funds, (It would, however, have been nicer of you to at least respond).

So I must enter the payments manually. But from the reminders, I can not find a way to easily tell MD to pay the online bill. I end up having to look up the amounts and payees for each one and then one by one entering the data in the 'send online payment' routine. This is a very slow, tedious process replicated every month, the very tedium I was hoping MD could help avoid. I just have to believe that either MD can indeed do this automatically for me, or if not, that there has to be a less tedious way (one or two clicks) to have MD send these repeated reminder payments for me from the reminders or elsewhere. Otherwise, what is the point of 'auto-commit' and reminders?

I would be really grateful if this once you indeed do respond to this reasonable query. Thank you.
Peter

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 27 May, 2020 03:12 PM

Just a user,

I know direct checking debits might be questionable for some, but for years now, I have chosen that path carefully and it has automated my bill paying perfectly and it has never been abused by any vendor for the decade I've used it. I set up MD reminders to automatically post those amounts that don't change and when I download my banking transactions, I observe that the downloads are merged with those automated MD transactions in my register. Rarely for some reason the amounts are different and I investigate. I usually find that a vendor has failed to notify me of a change or did notify me and I failed to change my reminders. I am careful to only allow direct debits from trusted vendors. Utilities, insurance, loan payments, etc. Although I have my direct debit info set up on my credit cards when I make payments, I never allow them to auto debit except for minimum payments which I set up as a backup to keep a perfect payment record. I use MD to download transactions from my credit cards and remind me to download statements and make payments to any vendor where I don't allow auto debits. For those utilities where I use auto debit and the amount changes a bit each month, I have a MD reminder to enter those amounts when I download the statements. And again when I download transactions from my checking, I look for the matching MD merge. I also use the MD budget to help me watch my activity. So, to sum it up, I don't trust any PC application to make my bill payments. I use MD as auditor. Just to watch and record activity. Unfortunately, as some credit cards are dropping direct connect for MD, I just delete the online setup in MD, set up the vendor web page in MD, and enter a control Download click to pull up my browser and log in to download transactions. Yeah, not automatic anymore for some, but easy enough to work around. I haven't used a stamp in many years, and I don't get paper statements from anyone except on occasion when they are required to send. It's automated and secured, and I don't spend any time paying bills except for triggering online credit card payments as needed. So far so good.

2. 2 Posted by psilversmith on 27 May, 2020 04:02 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, giving vendors access to my bank account is a way to make sure payments are on time - I just prefer not to do that. MD should be able to do that for me, but I just can't seem to get them to tell me how. Best wishes. Peter

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 27 May, 2020 09:20 PM

I'm a fellow user.

As far as I am aware Moneydance will not automatically initiate an online payment.

Personally to do so I would think is too problematic, for example is the computer online, is the bank site accessible etc and keeping track of these to provide feedback and any warnings necessary.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac