Resolving OFX sign reversals

dantdavis

31 Jul, 2020 09:48 PM

I have one account that downloads the OFX numbers with reversed sign (in this case, a payment appears as a charge)

The bank will not be receptive to direct contact, as I am slowly changing other things due to their lack of help.

Is there any way in MD to say a particular account has a problem like this? (Currently, I am just creating an offset reversal transaction, as changing the value from charge to payment just causes the bank to download the item again. I thought maybe by keeping the transaction with the bank download id, it would not download it again, but MD/bank must also check the value...)

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 31 Jul, 2020 10:10 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Does the option "Ignore Transaction Types in Favor of Amount signs" in menu item File --> Preferences on the Network tab help?

2. 2 Posted by dantdavis on 31 Jul, 2020 10:14 PM

That isn't account specific, could you say more about what it does before I try it for all accounts?

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 31 Jul, 2020 10:19 PM

Instead of basing the type of transaction it is (deposit or withdrawal) from the transaction type (as most of us presume should be the right way) it takes the type of transaction based on if it is a positive or negative amount.

To try it restore a Moneydance backup - which creates a new data set with no syncing and try it out on that. If it works, well and good, if it doesn't then you are working on a separate data set that you will end up deleting anyways so no harm done.

4. 4 Posted by dantdavis on 31 Jul, 2020 11:00 PM

ok, realized i could make the change and then just download that account.

yes, it fixed the problem. thanks.

the last question remains - might it mess up other accounts?

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 31 Jul, 2020 11:15 PM

The only way to absolutely answer that question it to try it, and to try it on an independent data set. A backup and restore should create that data set in seconds that you can use.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ethan on 01 Aug, 2020 09:33 PM

It really depends on how your other accounts are formatting their data files. You could post examples of your other accounts' files and we can see how they import on our end, but I think the 'trying it out for yourself' approach dwg suggests may be an easier first step, since presumably you would immediately know if something was off. If something seems to be going wrong, we can then try to dig deeper to see what's happening.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

7. 7 Posted by dantdavis on 01 Aug, 2020 09:34 PM

The option fixed the recalcitrant account. The other accounts, I'm just watching closely, as I have to wait for a transaction to download for some. So far, so good.

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 01 Aug, 2020 09:46 PM

I do not recall anyone reporting any problems when using this option, however the programmers employed by the bank's have been getting ever more 'creative' in the transaction files they have been producing. Chase's blatantly wrong QIF files being the one I always recall.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

09 Aug, 2020 08:38 PM
09 Aug, 2020 08:37 PM
09 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM