Error downloading from Fidelity

billgracie19

12 Nov, 2020 02:35 PM

Today I started getting the following error trying to download information from my Fidelity accounts:

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

Bank Name: Fidelity NetBenefits
Account: Capgemini 401K
Account Number: 81000

A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server.
Error Description: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Received fatal alert: internal_error

Can you please let me know how to get this corrected.

Thanks,

Bill

Showing page 7 out of 7. View the first page

1. Support Staff 181 Posted by Sean Reilly on 05 Jan, 2021 12:14 PM

Hi all,

If you are using any recent version of moneydance then the connection information should automatically refresh itself. You can also manually refresh the connection information using the Online->Setup Online Banking menu and then hitting the Refresh button in the window that appears if the account is already connected.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

2. 182 Posted by hleofxquotes on 05 Jan, 2021 06:21 PM

@John

@hleofxquotes Now that MD seems to have fixed the TLS issue with 3034, I have a question. Is there any reason to return to the setup not using Advanced entries that worked during the interim? Is the Advanced setup less secure? Will it stop working in the future?

Re: secure. In current state, I don't see the Fidelity work-around using 'Advanced setup' any less secure than the default. In fact, I personally think it it a tad more secure and reliable than using the default setting because the connection is directly to Fidelity and not having to traverse through a proxy server.

Re: stop working in the future? Two cases when I see that could happen

• Fidelity setting changes (but that will affect everyone regardless of default or Advanced settings).
    • MD made code change to break it but then I would ask why? since using Advanced setting is valid/support feature.
  3. 183 Posted by sth on 05 Jan, 2021 07:45 PM

I agree that both are secure and both have the same problems in the future, but does the build 3034 use a proxy server for all banking or just for Schwab? Is that a bank by bank setting? So was the Fidelity Connection kept direct or changed along with ALL connections to a proxy server? Does this mean that if I open a bank web page within MD it also goes through a proxy server?

4. 184 Posted by fb on 05 Jan, 2021 08:19 PM

Fidelity setting changes (but that will affect everyone regardless of default or Advanced settings).

@hleofxquotes

More likely, Fidelity and others will only allow connection to their OFX server from a finite number of IP addresses - the MD proxy being one of them. In this case, default setting through the MD proxy will keep working, advanced setting directly to the Fidelity OFX server will not.

5. 185 Posted by avp2 on 05 Jan, 2021 11:21 PM

Regarding "proxy" and "list" vs "advanced" setup security:

It seems to me, both method's of online setup are (pretty much) equally secure and (from the console log/s) do not seem to involve any "proxying" of an MD - OFX connection.

The difference between "advanced" and (institution) "list" setup is who provides the institution's OFX server address details your MD install uses when attempting an OFX connection - you when you use advanced, Infinite Kind (address only, not logon credentials) when you use the list. Your MD install connects, via those details, directly to your institution's OFX system, i.e. no OFX connection proxying.

When using MD's built-in browser, there is also no proxying. The connection (and data passing) is direct between your MD install and the server whose URL you enter (in an account's setup).

BTW, I have run into something like IP limiting already. Pacific Premier Bank uses an OFX logon "authentication" server (apparently provided by Intuit) to limit OFX access to Quicken only.

6. Support Staff 186 Posted by Sean Reilly on 05 Jan, 2021 11:29 PM

I should add that the advanced setup is really meant as a fallback for when we don't have any OFX settings for a bank's server in our system.

If you enter settings into the advanced OFX setup fields and we have that information already in our system, then Moneydance should automatically use the connection parameters that we have for that server.

7. 187 Posted by hleofxquotes on 06 Jan, 2021 04:41 PM

does the build 3034 use a proxy server for all banking or just for Schwab?

From what I can see on my network traffic, Schwab and Fidelity are using proxy (when using non-Advanced settings). The change for Schwab makes sense since direct connection is not possible.
    The change for Fidelity seems gratuitous: was not announced or explained. As far as I know, direct connection to Fidelity is still possible so there is no reason for using the the proxy server.

8. Support Staff 188 Posted by Sean Reilly on 06 Jan, 2021 04:47 PM

Schwab and Fidelity are both using opaque tunnelling proxies, but only to ensure that connections come from a registered IP address with both banks. We have no interest in proxying connections and I'll reiterate that the proxies are mere tunnels and the connections are encrypted TLS/https between moneydance on your computer and the banks servers - there is no way for us to access any information transmitted over the connections.

Fidelity contacted us directly and requested that we do this. Presumably non-proxied connections will stop working at some point soon.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

9. 189 Posted by sth on 06 Jan, 2021 04:55 PM

That explains it! I am glad that Fidelity did contact you directly!
    So the advanced mode fix will probably stop working sometime in the future when Fidelity tightens up the access. Probably a good reason to go back and shift from the advanced mode to the regular mode to avoid a hiccup when that happens.

Thanks for the clarification. One reason I find MD superior to almost all other personal finance managers is the dedication to security and privacy! With most banks and brokerages asking you to give them access to all your accounts MD is a refreshing and welcome difference!

10. Support Staff 190 Posted by Sean Reilly on 06 Jan, 2021 05:59 PM

Additionally, if you've setup a connection using the advanced form, it should automatically upgrade to the newest connection parameters. At least, it should if the bank setup using that form is already in our system.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

11. 191 Posted by uncleGfunk on 09 Jan, 2021 04:24 PM

I am having issues with connecting to Fidelity NetBenefits for downloads. As recently as 20 December I had successfully completed an account download. Today I received an error message and did an online banking account "reset". When I followed the steps, MD did not ask me to provide my Fidelity account login and password. Now when I request MD to download the Fidelity transactions, the Fidelity website tries to pop up in MD. See the attached screen shots. MD shows that my MD account (Chris's Retirement) is connected through the Online Banking Setup menu to Fidelity NetBenefits but I cannot reset password in MD. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

12. 192 Posted by Mom on 09 Jan, 2021 05:49 PM

I followed the directions from Jan 04, 2021 @ 05:05 AM post 166 Posted by Maddy, from Infinite Kind Support staff today and was able to download investment accounts and net benefit account from fidelity. Still was not able to:
    1. download the cash management account as a bank account.
    2. download Fidelity Credit Cards
    Were either of these issues supposed to by solved by any of these procedures or updates?
    If they have already been solved in other threads, just let me know and I will search again for the solutions.

13. 193 Posted by uncleGfunk on 09 Jan, 2021 06:45 PM

I went back to the 4 January post and was able to resolve my issue. Thanks!

14. 194 Posted by William P Benso... on 13 Jan, 2021 04:02 PM

I've followed Maddy's instructions from Jan 4, downloading the latest version of Moneydance (I had a 2015 version) and reestablishing the on-line link with my four Fidelity accounts. All is good with ONE BIG EXCEPTION. One of the accounts has lost all transactions (going back to the 1980's) except for one dating Jan 5, 2021. Do I have to restore from back-up?

15. 195 Posted by sth on 13 Jan, 2021 06:59 PM

William,

Downloading should not be able to remove transactions from an account. Are you sure that you didn't check the filter at the top for "this year" or something like that?
    (not IK support)

16. 196 Posted by William P Benso... on 14 Jan, 2021 03:14 PM

OMG, thank you SO MUCH! I've never used that, didn't really even know it was there. You've just saved me a major nightmare. May God bless you abundantly this year!

17. 197 Posted by davet65 on 14 Jan, 2021 03:40 PM

The recent exchange between William Benson and sth shows why this discussion board is so useful. Talented people willing to monitor and help others since IK, being the small company it is, just can't do it!

18. 198 Posted by sth on 14 Jan, 2021 03:56 PM

You are welcome and glad I could help.

There are about a half dozen things that recur a LOT. This is one, splitting a register is another, opening a backup instead of your main file, windows appearing off screen that seem to be simple fixes.

Maybe a general "reset" button that moves all windows to default positions, sets all registers to ALL, and ????. Just a suggestion to the developer (or Stuart's Excellent Toolbox extension).

Scott (NOT IK support)

19. 199 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 14 Jan, 2021 04:14 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

@sth. I thought Toolbox 🧰 already could do that... I'll check. (also not support)

20. 200 Posted by sth on 14 Jan, 2021 05:03 PM

@Stuart, I think it has a reset windows button. But does it also remove register splits and set them to ALL? Maybe an "idiot" button to "Reset MD (will not delete data)" button?

21. 201 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 14 Jan, 2021 07:22 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

As I thought, the ability to reset register filters is already present in 🧰 .... See screen shot...
    If you run the options shown 2 & 3 & 4 then it resets all windows positions, locations, sizes, filters, sorts, and initial views....

??

22. 202 Posted by hannasm on 16 Jan, 2021 03:12 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Error downloading from Fidelity

Is there an ETA on the fix moving from preview to a stable release? Would
    someone from infinite kind be able to update us when this is released?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:36 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM