USAA/Moneydance issues after OFX downloads are restored

dtd

12 May, 2021 08:54 PM

This thread is intended to discuss issues with USAA OFX downloads to Moneydance.

As many know, USAA stopped OFX downloads to third parties other than Quicken on Jan 26, 2021. However, on Feb 23, 2021, the downloads were restored to those who ran a python script written by Stuart Beesley to create a new USAA profile.

For those who applied the python script, USAA downloads now work again. But, as with all things, USAA still isn't doing the best job with their new OFX setup. (Many Quicken users continue to complain as well.)

So, for those who are encountering issues with USAA now that it is working again, feel free to discuss here.

1. 1 Posted by gelaw on 12 May, 2021 09:41 PM

New USAA download issue. After successfully applying the python script by Stuart Beesley, Moneydance and USAA seemed to be working fine. After a numerous downloads I noted that one of my accounts would fail to download with the following message:

"There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below. Bank Name: USAA Custom Profile (ofx_create_new_usaa_bank_profile_custom.py)
    The error code reported by the server was: 2003
    Account Not Found"

I tried re-connecting that account but it would not reconnect. It appeared that Moneydance no longer could not find that USAA account to reconnect.

Curiously, I tried to download again a few days later and then it worked without me fixing it. I suspect something was up at USAA.

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 12 May, 2021 10:07 PM

The 2003 error is, as stated, "account not found".

For one thing, USAA changed their internal numbers, probably as a security thing. When you tried reconnecting, what did the "picklist" say - was it your original number, or a different one?

Given your statement it "just started working again" I suspect the number stayed the same, and USAA was doing some internal juggling.

The point for you is that USAA is still trying to figure this out themselves, as complaints are happening from Quicken as well. As another example - not all accounts even transfer over - little used accounts don't appear until you use them.

So, 2003 means "account not found" - until USAA finds it. :)

IF they find it - but that's another comment I'm waiting to respond to.

3. 3 Posted by Monica Gere on 12 May, 2021 11:52 PM

Implemented this fix about 6 weeks ago and all downloads were working well until last week... I'm getting an error message now specifically when MD tries to download my USAA Visa transaction info (all other USAA accounts are downloading fine). Nothing in my account setup in MD or online at USAA has changed and the CC number when I login to online banking is still the same. Below is the error message, anyone else having this new, isolated issue?

"There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.
    Bank Name: USAA Custom Profile (ofx_create_new_usaa_bank_profile_custom.py)
    The error code reported by the server was: 2003
    Account Not Found"

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 13 May, 2021 05:06 AM

@Monica

I've seen the 2003 (Account not found) with USAA quite a bit since Jan 26... for multiple reasons, some USAA issues, and some Moneydance.

Starting with gelaw's comment, in some cases it seems a USAA internal issue, and the account reappears (or if a little used account, appears after a transaction). That just requires patience.

Given an active account, which yours appears to be, I would give it a week or so to reappear, if it has been less than a week.

Then, here are the steps I've found tend to work. First, let's blame USAA. Disable the account online login and reinstate it. Make sure the account in question is in the "picklist" and select it. If it is NOT in the picklist, well, that explains the account not found. If the account is inactive - do a transaction. If active, and missing - hmmmm - well in one case changing the nickname at usaa put it back, but otherwise - a phone call - SAY YOU ARE USING QUICKEN - and ask why the account went missing.

Now, let's blame Moneydance. Moneydance can make an account stop working properly. I personally have issues with Chase and Moneydance where an account simply stops working (and no, I have no idea why...) If we get to this point, I can offer suggestions that I've taken with my Chase accounts.

5. 5 Posted by Monica Gere on 13 May, 2021 06:03 PM

Still threw the same error today, so I disabled and reinstated. Working now, we'll see if it lasts... will report back soon. Thx!

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 13 May, 2021 10:01 PM

Glad to see the first suggestion worked. Let us know if anything changes.

7. 7 Posted by Jeff W on 22 May, 2021 02:41 PM

The settings created by the Python script worked for awhile, but now I'm getting this:

=========================
    There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

I'm sorry, an error occurred. The details of this error are below.
    Error Description: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: type DIRECT is not compatible with address 127.0.0.1/<unresolved>:8866
    ==========================

My guess is that this is related to updating Moneydance to 2021.1 (3068) in order to deal with the constant crashes associated with using the previous version on a Mac with multiple monitors.

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 May, 2021 05:08 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I doubt the upgrade caused this. Are you running a proxy, pihole, vpn etc? If not, reboot and try again later.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

9. 9 Posted by Jeff W on 25 May, 2021 02:56 PM

The problem persists with the release version, 3069.

Rebooting/waiting makes no difference. There are no proxies/VPN's/etc.

If I downgrade to 2020.2 (1929), the USAA connection created by the script works correctly.

So, yes, it does appear to be a compatibility issue between the connection created by the script and the upgrade.

An important part of that upgrade was changing out the JRE to resolve the crashing issue. Perhaps something about Java networking or name resolution changed as well.

10. 10 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 May, 2021 03:14 PM

Very odd.. Anyway, it cannot be the script.. All this does is populate the connection profile. There is nothing running, it's all pure MD. So perhaps something in MD changed..

So, is anyone else out there running MD2021.1 build 3069 and still successfully connecting to USAA..? Pls respond..?

11. 11 Posted by Jeff W on 25 May, 2021 03:16 PM

I got this to work.

This looks like a bug with the new version of MoneyDance. I found the full error on the console, which did suggest it was proxy-related. The very next line is:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: type DIRECT is not compatible with address 127.0.0.1/<unresolved>:8866
    at java.base/java.net.Proxy.<init>(Unknown Source)

(The rest of the call stack is long and not very relevant.)

So I looked at the Preferences, on the Network tab. "Use Proxy" was (correctly) *not* checked, but 127.0.0.1 and port 8866 *were* set as the proxy I would use if I were using a proxy. (I did not set them.)

I deleted them, and things started to work. (There is, of course, no proxy running on this machine at port 8866.)

So it seems like the new version of Moneydance is no longer checking the "Use Proxy" option. If there's a host and port set, then they will be used. (And it may be setting a new default.)

I do see some notes about using "encrypted tunnels" for certain connections, and I suspect that whatever those changes entail indirectly/unintentionally caused this.

12. 12 Posted by Jeff W on 25 May, 2021 03:19 PM

Sorry, I meant to write "I do see some comments in the release notes( https://infinitekind.com/blog/moneydance-2021-1 ) for this version..."

13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 May, 2021 03:46 PM

That is a very interesting find....! I just checked the MD code and I can see that in one place it checks the use proxy field first, but in the other it seems to use the proxy if set, regardless of whether the use proxy is set. I have logged an issue on the Developer's site to take a look.

(not support, just a fellow user)

14. 14 Posted by Jeff W on 25 May, 2021 03:48 PM

Thanks for doing that Stuart, I had no idea they even had a Github.

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 May, 2021 04:02 PM

In fact, I can test it.... and yes, this is the problem! If the proxy data is set, even if the use proxy field is NOT set, then direction connection fails... Delete the data and it doesn't fail:.

There was an error communicating with your financial institution.  The details of this error are below.

Account: USAA CC2
    Account Number: 1111222211113334

I'm sorry, an error occurred.  The details of this error are below.
    Error Description: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: type DIRECT is not compatible with address 127.0.0.1/<unresolved>:8866
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: type DIRECT is not compatible with address 127.0.0.1/<unresolved>:8866
        at java.base/java.net.Proxy.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory$HttpURLConnectionImpl.<init>(CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory.java:245)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory$HttpsURLConnectionImpl.<init>(CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory.java:709)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory$HttpsURLConnectionHandler.openConnection(CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory.java:202)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory.openConnection(CustomURLStreamHandlerFactory.java:156)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.HttpsHelper2.getOFXConnection(HttpsHelper2.java:278)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.sendMessage(OFXConnection.java:2620)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.sendMessage(OFXConnection.java:2564)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.getTransactions(OFXConnection.java:973)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.OnlineManager.downloadTransactions(OnlineManager.java:550)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.OnlineManager.downloadTransactions(OnlineManager.java:465)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.AccountDetailPanel.lambda$downloadTransactions$0(AccountDetailPanel.java:296)
        at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.BackgroundOpsThread.run(BackgroundOpsThread.java:136)

16. 16 Posted by dtd on 25 May, 2021 05:51 PM

Jeff W - am I correct in thinking that this broke direct connection in general vs. just USAA?

17. 17 Posted by Jeff W on 25 May, 2021 05:53 PM

That's highly likely, but I don't have any other banks to test against.

18. 18 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 May, 2021 06:05 PM

I believe it will break all Direct Connections.... probably....

19. 19 Posted by mgphl52 on 25 May, 2021 08:31 PM

Just an FYI... I have also updated to latest (3069) release with NO problems downloading USAA. Just wish CapitalOne would allow credit card connections. :(
    On a side note, USAA keeps posting messages about new interface, etc. coming and supposedly "better" features... I am now truly thinking hard about moving my primary checking account elsewhere!

20. 20 Posted by dtd on 25 May, 2021 08:48 PM

USAA is part of the FDX interface group, and will probably move to that at some point, one reason that IK/MD is looking at medium/long term solutions (they've joined the FDX group) versus trying to do Stuart's shorter term solution themselves.

21. 21 Posted by dtd on 25 May, 2021 08:57 PM

Moving into the opinion area, what I have done personally is minimize my usaa usage, both checking and credit card, but as you say "move my PRIMARY" - as these are 40 year old accounts, and getting rid of the credit card would be cutting off my face to spite my face (more than nose, here, with 40 years).

I have lots of credit cards, so just having my usaa credit card pay usaa bills is enough.

As for checking - USAA was primary for years and years until I opened a checking account at a local credit union. (They don't have automatic downloads, but they do offer manual OFX downloads, which USAA does not.)

Just one opinion. I will be using USAA for life, just maybe not as much as before.

22. System closed this discussion on 24 Aug, 2021 09:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac