importing from bank on existing account in Moneydance.

John Hamilton

03 Jun, 2021 10:03 PM

Have used Moneydance a long time. A few years back, I set up Moneydance for my Chase checking account so I can download transactions, but I never really used it. I've been entering everything manually. I am rethinking this and may want to download transactions now. I have an older version of MD, and I have my Chase account set up to sync, but the last date synced was years ago. How do I do this so I can start downloading items starting now, not from the last time I synced? I don't want to have years of duplicates imported into my reconciled account.

1. 1 Posted by John Hamilton on 03 Jun, 2021 10:15 PM

I have MD 2012.5 (862)

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 03 Jun, 2021 11:30 PM

just a user here.

First, it's great you've been using MD for 9 years and it continues to work for you!

Normally, I'd be able to give some advice, but the product has changed some over the years and I will have to defer to some other users or product support that have more familiarity with the 2012 version, as I started using MD in 2019.

Good luck!

3. 3 Posted by dtd on 03 Jun, 2021 11:40 PM

One thing I can say is that for CREDIT CARDS from Chase, they normally only hold a six month history, so if checking is the same (and I don't know if it is), you'd get up to six months of duplicates. Hopefully you could merge them, but that's where my version knowledge becomes weak.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 03 Jun, 2021 11:49 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The short answer is that I cannot see a way of doing what you want with automatic downloads. FWIW MD2012 still works well on Windows 10 and Linux, but is quite different under the hood to the latest releases.

With automatic downloads data is being downloaded from an OFX server that has the bank data on it. These systems are not the banks production system so they generally have a subset of data on them - often in the 30-90 day bracket but some banks have been known to keep a couple of years worth of transactions on them.

There is a fundamental difference between manually entered data and data downloaded this way. The downloaded transactions have transaction IDs. These are what are used to prevent duplicates, your manual data does not have these. This is why you initially have duplicated transactions and then have to go through the confirm and merge process to marry manual and automatic transactions so that the transaction IDs get merged into the ondisk data and thus prevent future duplicates.

There is no provision that I know of to set a starting data for the auto downloaded transactions so there is no way to avoid the initial duplication.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Jun, 2021 06:44 AM

On MD2021.1 you can install my toolbox extension. In advanced mode, ofx tools menu, there is an option to edit the last txn download date. So I guess the procedure would be, create connection, edit the date, download.

Best to backup first and try on a test copy first.

https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

(Not support, just a fellow user)

6. System closed this discussion on 03 Sep, 2021 06:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac