Are you ever going to fix usaa downloads

Raymond Jessen

05 Jul, 2021 11:42 PM

As far as I can tell the only fix has come from subscribers. Will Moneydance fix the app so we can download usaa?

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 05 Jul, 2021 11:48 PM

a subscriber - USAA has been fixed since Feb 23, and Moneydance has fully endorsed the fix.

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 05 Jul, 2021 11:52 PM

Please refer to this official Moneydance knowledgebase article.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/connecting-with-usaa

3. 3 Posted by rtj69 jessenand... on 06 Jul, 2021 12:02 AM

I am aware of the subscriber fix. I am waiting for a fix from moneydance through the app. I have been following the discussion since the start and I am riding the curve but apparently the staff at moneydance is not.

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 06 Jul, 2021 12:03 AM

I doubt the staff is ignoring the situation - did you read their knowledgebase article?

5. 5 Posted by rtj69 jessenand... on 06 Jul, 2021 12:08 AM

Yes I have read all the articles….I have also been running Quicken again alongside moneydance. Quicken allows me to download usaa and ally bank which moneydance has also not fixed. I love moneydance but their support is very slow and I fear that at the end of the year if there is no progress I will have to go back to quicken.

On Jul 5, 2021, at 5:03 PM, dtd <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 06 Jul, 2021 12:10 AM

Wait. I don't understand. If you've "read all the articles" - why haven't you fixed USAA versus creating this thread?

Ally Bank is another issue - and should be a different thread.

7. 7 Posted by dtd on 06 Jul, 2021 12:18 AM

Just as a heads up - It's about 2am in the UK, so please don't expect a response for at least a few hours.

Hope that helps.

8. 8 Posted by rtj69 jessenand... on 06 Jul, 2021 12:19 AM

As i said I wish to have usaa back on the list in the app. It is a simple question. Please let moneydance staff answer my question. Have a wonderful day.

On Jul 5, 2021, at 5:10 PM, dtd <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:

9. 9 Posted by dtd on 06 Jul, 2021 12:23 AM

Do not expect a response for at least some hours, as many are asleep in the UK.

As you say... have a wonderful day.

10. 10 Posted by ik on 06 Jul, 2021 10:43 AM

The fix, endorsed or not, is far from perfect. Every time I download from USAA I have to spend the next 30 minutes verifying what was downloaded and deleting duplicates to keep my accounts accurate. That is not a fix, that is a bandaid.

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Jul, 2021 11:21 AM

That has nothing to do with the fix. Usaa changed their systems. I believe you need to keep the newly downloaded txns and delete the previously downloaded txns. This is because usaa changed their txn IDs. Once you do this then the dups should go.

12. 12 Posted by ik on 07 Jul, 2021 12:39 AM

Nope. Been did that for a while -- doesn't work. The only fix that works: If it is a check, create a deposit for the same amount and clear both. If it is a deposit, create a check. It is a PITA.

This occurred in January, and other software has adapted -- I would like to see MoneyDance do the same.

13. 13 Posted by dtd on 07 Jul, 2021 10:10 PM

As Stuart says, your complaint has nothing to do with the fix - the fix works perfectly, otherwise you couldn't download. That is all the fix does - allow you to download usaa again. You seem to think the "fix" does a lot more - and causes your current problems.

As for "other software has adapted", have you read any of the complaints by quicken users how USAA changes the FITIDs (Stuart called them txn IDs) ? Also that USAA routinely downloads duplicate credit card transactions?

Your complaints are pointed in the wrong direction.

Even if Moneydance wrote specific code that would satisfy you and rt69, these issues would still exist, as it is USAA's problem, not Moneydances. The fix works, it is not a bandaid, but it DOES expose that USAA downloads problematic stuff now.

I'd suggest reading the documentation for the fix (Version 8a) and note that there is a section on the fix itself, and then documentation almost as long about what USAA has done and how to alleviate the problems, again, caused by USAA.

Hope that helps.

14. 14 Posted by dtd on 07 Jul, 2021 10:22 PM

As far as your assertion of "the only fix that works", I think you may not be doing it right, and would be glad to help you walk through your USAA issues, as some of them are fixable if you can get the FITIDs right. Can't do anything about USAA downloading duplicate credit card transactions, but your issue appears to be with checking, and for most people, that works fine after alleviating the FITID duplicate issue.

If you are interested in pursuing that working (again, the 8a documentation covers many of these USAA problems), feel free to post in the "Script to Fix USAA" thread.

15. 15 Posted by moneydance on 12 Jul, 2021 02:00 AM

My situation is this: I will have to upgrade to a newer version of Moneydance to even try "the fix". If Moneydance is going to depend on this fix that requires jumping through several hoops to set up, and not develop IN THEIR OWN CODE a method for working with USAA, then I may need to evaluate spending my money elsewhere. I really have liked Moneydance for the past 10+ years, but if they are not going to ensure continuing compatibility with banks that so many of their users are with, then I'm not sure about their long term viability. The reason USAA made the change is security. I do not like the WAY they did it, but I can't argue with their reason for the change.

Moneydance, can you PLEASE give us an idea of when you will have your product updated to work with USAA WITHOUT depending on a band aid provided by one of your customers? It has been almost 6 months!

16. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Jul, 2021 07:07 AM

What version of MD are you on? The script works on 2019.4(1904) onwards.

Upgrades are necessary for direct connection as MD has to keep inline with the bank’s protocols. For example, certificates, tunnelling etc.

Trying to stick on older versions for direct connection is doomed to end in disappointment. This is no different to Quicken.

17. 17 Posted by hleofxquotes on 12 Jul, 2021 02:33 PM

Yes, MD should provide an official fix for this. They have all the information needed to fix. It is unconscionable that they have not.

Re: mis-matched, duplicated transaction. USAA could have been on the wrong (regarding change of transaction ID. I don't know the details). BUT the bulk of that issue could easily be mitigated by adding a secondary matching algorithm using information such as date (allowing a sliding window) and amount to help user navigating the likely matched entries. This is not band-aid for USAA, this is code that will work generally for all bank, all transactions, all users.

I suspect a missing feature that makes handling duplicate transaction worse is that MD does not support VOID transactions. If VOID were available, user could simply accept all the transactions with new ID's, then simply void them. Subsequent download of transactions with same "new ID's" will then simply be skipped.

18. 18 Posted by moneydance on 12 Jul, 2021 11:12 PM

So, no official response yet from Moneydance. I am currently using version 2017.8. It still worked fine with USAA until USAA disabled support of ofx files in February. I have no problem paying for an upgrade if AND ONLY IF Moneydance will be releasing a version that works with USAA’s new security features in the very near future. I will NOT pay to upgrade if my only somewhat automated way to download my USAA transactions is through a script that works “some of the time.” I will settle for an interface or features that I don’t like rather than reward Moneydance’s lack of support for its own product.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Sean Reilly on 04 Aug, 2021 02:40 PM

I am sorry for the lack of recent updates on this issue.

We've talked to the people at USAA who are in charge of allowing new connections. We are in the queue to be evaluated and approved, however it will be a while. On the other hand, we are about to roll out a new way to connect using a privacy-aware aggregator which was suggested by USAA. Please watch for the next update of Moneydance which will have this new, easier to set up, method of connecting.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

20. 20 Posted by roland on 05 Aug, 2021 09:51 PM

The approved fix doesn't work for everybody. I am one of the users that the fix does not work for. It has never worked for me, even with help from other users. I've been using the fix by hleOfxQuotes as I could never get the "approved" fix to work. Now the hleOfxQuotes java app is no longer working and I'm stuck with no download capabilities, again.

Is there a time frame for when the privacy-aware aggregator update will be out?

21. 21 Posted by roland on 05 Aug, 2021 10:24 PM

Never mind. I'm done waiting. I just purchased Quicken Premier. Now I'm going to go scratch my eyes out after having to watch myself pay for Quicken again. Many years ago I switched to Moneydance because Quicken was so money hungry. Now I'm back to Quicken because Moneydance just doesn't have the resources to support their product. Very sad, but unfortunately very true. Wish it could have been different.

22. 22 Posted by dtd on 06 Aug, 2021 01:33 AM

@roland - I know you are leaving, but would you mind pointing me to the links of where you could not connect to USAA with the "approved fix" and asked for help from other users, and that didn't succeed either.

I did not find any posts from you in the main "fix it/get help" thread, but there have been so many threads about USAA.

If nothing else, I can review those posts and possibly revise the documentation as to "when it goes wrong".

Thanks.

23. 23 Posted by roland on 06 Aug, 2021 05:16 PM

Dan,

I don’t track forum threads if they’ve not proven useful/helpful so I don’t know exactly when and what all the threads are that I’ve participated in, but I do have the emails that resulted from at least one of my attempts at getting this to work. You are actually one of the people who worked with me over the course of 2 months. See attached.

Since those ‘assisted’ attempts, I’ve monitored the ‘fix’ threads and whenever there are updates that seem to indicate a different way of doing it, or an improvement to the process, I have re-tried the script, many times actually. I’ve wiped my computer once since then, which I do from time to time, and tried it with a fresh install of Win10 and MoneyDance. I tried it with a new clean data file. No joy on any of my bright ideas. I continue to get Error 2000.

As much as I’d like to work with somebody to figure this out, my level of frustration and the amount of time already wasted are both very high. Unfortunately for MoneyDance, Quicken just works and due to the wasted time and level of frustration, I’m now prepared to pay the price for that single value-add, working software that handles nearly all the footwork of managing finances.

Besides having multiple bank accounts and so many credit and loan accounts that I can’t remember most of them without the aid of financial software, I also have a dozen or more investment accounts that have built up over the years due to 401K, brokerage accounts, 529s, etc. None of which Moneydance can handle without going through mental and technical acrobatics to pull off managing them. Again, Quicken just works and without much effort. In just a day I have most of my investment, credit, and bank accounts connected and visible in Quicken. Something years of using Moneydance has not afforded me without hours spent reading forums, running scripts, tweaking download data streams, etc.

I’ll keep my eye on the forums and the MoneyDance reviews. I’d really like to like Moneydance and come back someday and support it. That time is just not right now.

Thank you,

Roland

24. 24 Posted by dtd on 07 Aug, 2021 02:50 AM

Ah yes, I remember this now. We did this mostly via email.

Since you decided not to continue working with us (Stuart and myself) (we had many ideas on what was wrong, mostly credential related) there is nothing new I can glean from the unfinished work for the documentation.

I understand the frustration, and the desire to stop, but we could only help further had you sent us more console information.

Also understandable that Quicken seems to be an easier solution, as they have more resources, and access via different methodologies (though much less private)

BTW, even if Moneydance had implemented code like Stuart's within the program, I can with almost certainty say that you would still be getting 2000 errors, as what you were experiencing with Stuart's script, you would also experience with the theoretical MD code.

Thanks for the extra information.

25. 25 Posted by dtd on 07 Aug, 2021 02:52 AM

As you say, the privacy aware aggregator solution is a different issue.

26. 26 Posted by roland on 09 Aug, 2021 03:55 PM

It would be a likely logical and physical progression that if I get the 2000 error with the fix, and it’s assumed I would get the same error with the solution implemented in Moneydance code, then one could assume that I would get the same 2000 error with the hleOfxQuotes GUI work around. But I don’t. It works great. Worked great anyway.

The issue I have now with the hleOfxQuotes GUI solution is the most recent Java upgrade broke it. The code fails to load completely and the GUI never comes up. Before that Java upgrade and up until last week, that solution worked great without the 2000 error.

Software development that requires integration and interfacing with different systems, data streams, and different OS versions is always difficult. I hope Moneydance continues to mature and get past these issues.

Thanks for all the help!

Take care,

Rolan

27. 27 Posted by hleofxquotes on 09 Aug, 2021 10:41 PM

... The issue I have now with the hleOfxQuotes GUI solution is the most recent Java upgrade broke it.

Hi Rolan,

I know you have switch to Quicken so this might be moot. But if you are still like me to look into the issue you have with starting hleOfxQuotes, send me an email hleofxquotes at gmail dot com

Best,

28. 28 Posted by dtd on 10 Aug, 2021 01:39 AM

Rolan, as I'm sure you've read, hleofxquotes is the expert in making things work. He's referenced as an expert resource in Stuart's fix.

29. System closed this discussion on 09 Nov, 2021 01:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac