Software advises incorrect id or password

Rick Fontaine

17 Jul, 2021 04:14 PM

We are evaluating finance software and based on what we have read, Moneydance provides us with everything we need. I downloaded the Windows 64 version of the software to assess how it works and in my initial effort to download checking transactions the software opens an online error window with the following: The given customer ID or PIN is not valid. For more information, contact your financial institution.
Additional information from the server: Signon (for example, user ID or password) invalid.

I opened the account on a browser based session without issue using the same ID and password. I note that we use 2FA. How can we use the Moneydance software given our security arrangements?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Jul, 2021 04:29 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

What bank?

2. 2 Posted by arjayfon on 17 Jul, 2021 05:24 PM

PNC

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Jul, 2021 05:33 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Hmm. PNC appears to be supported as
    "PNC Bank - Direct Connect"

With the bank, have you logged on and is there an option to ‘enable quicken access’ etc? If so, do this…..

Just a thought. (Not support, just a fellow user).

4. 4 Posted by arjayfon on 17 Jul, 2021 05:39 PM

I’ll look again. I didn’t see one earlier but may have overlooked it. Thanks for your suggestions.

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 17 Jul, 2021 07:07 PM

Many banks also require you to send a secure message requesting Direct Connect access (Chase is one). In Chase's case, basically your normal id/password starts working for Direct Connect.

If you do need to do something like this, always say Direct Connect and/or Quicken. If you say Moneydance, many will say "we don't support anyone but Quicken", but it's really the same thing.

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 17 Jul, 2021 07:18 PM

This might help? (Im not support,, just a user)

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/banking/online-and-mobile-banking/online-banking-with-quicken.html

Already using Online Banking?
        Click on the "Customer Service" tab at the top of the screen.
        Then, click on the "Quicken® Enrollment" link under the "Account Management" section[2]

7. 7 Posted by arjayfon on 17 Jul, 2021 08:04 PM

Thanks for the link and suggestion. Unfortunately, although PNC clearly tells you how to do this, the option is not available where advised. We may have to talk with their customer service people.

8. 8 Posted by dtd on 17 Jul, 2021 08:29 PM

As to this:
    I note that we use 2FA. How can we use the Moneydance software given our security arrangements?

Direct Connect usually uses a different pathway than the browser login, so 2FA (usually) does not enter into it. For example, I have 2FA with USAA, but once I set up my "Quicken" permissions, MD just gets in and out with the OFX information.

9. System closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2021 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac