Downloading Duplicate Transactions

khenry2

01 Aug, 2021 05:32 PM

Is there any way to help Moneydance recognize duplicate transactions? When I download the QIF file from my bank, if I'm not very careful about the dates, I wind up with duplicate transactions in Moneydance. Then I have to go through the headache of manually going back & either merging or deleting the duplicates.

Is there anything I can do with settings to stop Moneydance from creating a duplicate transaction with the exact same date & amount from downloading? This happens with both deposits & withdrawals.

I converted to Moneydance from Quicken & generally speaking, I really like the software! 

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 01 Aug, 2021 07:56 PM

Hello,

What you describe is unfortunately the result of importing QIF files. If you have other formats available, it may be worth switching to those. Transactions downloaded through direct connections, or through importing OFX or QFX files, contain unique transaction IDs for each transaction. These allow programs like Moneydance to know that it has seen these transactions before. This information is stored in the background of the program, but is associated with each downloaded transaction. If Moneydance encounters the same unique transaction ID in a future download (even if you have modified the transaction by entering in a memo, assigning a category, etc), the program will know it has seen that transaction before, and won't import it again. Unfortunately, due to the limitation of QIF files, unique transaction IDs are not included in those files. Moneydance therefore has no way to know for sure that it has seen a transaction before, and the transaction will be presented to confirm each time.

If you have no other import options, another option could be to limit the date range for the QIF files you download. Most banks have an option for this. If you selected a range that only overlapped with your current register by a week, for example, that would limit the amount of potential duplicate transactions you would encounter, while still ensuring you were downloading all transactions.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by khenry2 on 01 Aug, 2021 08:35 PM

Thanks for your help Ethan!

Karen

3. Maddy closed this discussion on 02 Aug, 2021 09:23 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Jan, 2022 12:38 AM
24 Jan, 2022 12:15 AM
23 Jan, 2022 09:39 PM