Paypal issues

v+ik

21 Sep, 2021 10:41 PM

So while playing with various banks and trying to use the internal browser to download transactions (yes, I'm happy I had a backup), I discovered that downloading PayPal transactions results in strange behaviour. I don't know if it is because PayPal puts weird stuff into the download file, but I suspect so.

The manually entered transactions had splits; the downloaded transactions had splits. The former were useful categorizations of the details of the transaction, the latter were "payment" vs. "fees".

The result was that the downloaded transactions automatically overrode the manually entered transactions for those that matched, without giving me the opportunity to confirm and match, and hopefully preserve the manually entered splits. Or maybe I was confused somehow, maybe both were there. What I noticed was that the transactions that matched manually entered transactions were marked as reconciled, and had the "payment" and "fees" split. Transactions that were downloaded, but didn't match any manually entered transactions were added without being marked as reconciled. And for sure there were no transactions to confirm.

I had don't a custom report with a specific date range from the last time I had manually reconciled the PayPal account. To get to the PayPal transaction download is also weird... from the activity list, you click statements, and then have a choice of existing or custom statements.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 22 Sep, 2021 10:39 AM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Can you verify whether the checkbox for the feature Use Bank Dates for Merged Transactions is checked from the Network (Preferences) tab?

When this box is checked and the date on a manually entered transaction is different from the date of the transaction it is being merged with, the bank’s date replaces the manually entered date. For example when a check is written on December 4 and cashed on December 8,
    When this box is not checked the manually entered date will remain, as outlined here.

If this doesn't seem to address the problem, please can you provide the following information:

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance, where the version and build number will be displayed.

When you download from PayPal, which file format do you use?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by v+ik on 22 Sep, 2021 05:14 PM

Moneydanec version 2021.1 (3069)

The only box checked in the Network tab of Preferences is "Observer Online Payment Date Restrictions". I would assume these are all the default settings, as I don't recall ever seeing the content of this tab before.

And I wouldn't want to use the bank dates anyway: the manually entered transaction dates are more accurate in reflecting when the transaction was initiated.

3. 3 Posted by v+ik on 22 Sep, 2021 05:59 PM

Oh, and the file format was QIF... a custom date-range statement report..

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Dec, 2021 06:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac