MoneyDance+ Problem/Question

keith

04 Oct, 2021 12:52 PM

I am having an issue setting up any accounts with MoneyDance+. I can get through the part of the process for connecting my accounts (choose bank, sign in, get confirmation message about account being linked) but when I go back to MoneyDance I am not able to do anything else on the Online Banking Signup page. The "Next >>" button does nothing when clicked. The only options on that screen are "Connect Your Accounts", "Cancel", "Back" and "Next >>". That screen does say "You're fully connected!". Am I missing something? How do I complete linking and using the account in MoneyDance? This happens with any MD+ accounts I have tried to set up. Thank you for any assistance.

Showing page 2 out of 3. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by avp2 on 10 Oct, 2021 04:21 PM

So, I am now running build 4050 for mac. MD+ is working on the three accounts I want it to. The MD+ accounts I previously linked and now have set to "inactive" are not being scanned for download, at least they do not show any comm errors. IOW, MD seems to be working as it should.

I feel, the MD+ system still needs some tweaking however. The two (now) matching windows are somewhat confusing. For instance, what is the difference between the OFX list and individual account list/s in the non-MD+ window? What does fully connected mean in the IK MD+ web page mean? My MD+ matching window shows the three working MD+ linked accounts, but for one institution it says status is "expired, please re-link" and the other institution (which has two accounts) says status is "unknown". They all work Ok though. I also have a few left column account numbers in my OFX matching window which are non-existent (I think long deleted accounts) which I have set to "none" in the right column, but can not delete.

It would be nice if there was better functionality to help avoid linking the wrong account so you don't get a bunch of transactions from the wrong account - I am thinking left column naming that matches the MD name you have entered for the account, vs just the account's full number.

2. 32 Posted by Dan P on 10 Oct, 2021 04:39 PM

Just another user here.
    The OFX list is of files I believe. So even discontinued accounts could be there.
    The Status Unknown is fixed in the next release per Sean.
    I have 4 accounts in MD+ and two direct connect. The two direct connect show up individually in the match window.

I'm confident the next release will be ready for Prime Time. IMHO

3. Support Staff 33 Posted by Sean Reilly on 10 Oct, 2021 04:59 PM

This is great feedback. In fact the Match Online Accounts window's purpose is pretty negligible now that Moneydance+ accounts are in their own window. The only purpose for it anymore is to show an interface for changing which accounts are associated with which account numbers from OFX files. Unfortunately we can't put names in the left column because those are the numbers that identity the account within imported OFX files.

If there isn't a match in that table when importing an OFX file then you are prompted for the destination account for the file. If you've selected the remember-this-choice checkbox then the number and account are added to this table, and that window is the only place to change it if a mistake was made when importing.

I will consider removing the popup menu that lets you select the financial institution, since those accounts are already linked in a reliable way, through the OFX setup-online-banking process.

Thanks!
    Sean

4. 34 Posted by dtd on 10 Oct, 2021 07:24 PM

I haven't been testing this phase due to a house move and unpacking, but as I read these messages about making MD+ good, please don't ignore (or hurt) the direct connect downloads that are not MD+ - for example, I see reset sync date being added for MD+, but for direct connect, that's something that you have to go to Stuart's toolbox to do, as MD only has reset to "day 0".

Similarly, there now seems to be a table for MD+ accounts, whereas direct connect has always been a tab line which displays possible connections, and the only way to fix if there is a mismatch is to disconnect and reconnect (which may also be true with MD+, but again - parity of functionality between the two will prevent confusion).

Not saying they should be combined at all, especially since MD+ will have a subscription charge, just if you upgrade to MD+, the two download methodologies should look very similar.

Just my thoughts.

5. 35 Posted by Dan P on 10 Oct, 2021 07:30 PM

I don't see any need to worry. I've been testing the latest builds with both MD+ and direct connect. When you download, they look the same. And all work!

I just deleted my remaining two direct connects and added them to MD+.

While it may seem obvious, I had to delete (disable) the direct connect manually.. Adding to MD+ doesn't disable that.

(just another user)

6. 36 Posted by dtd on 10 Oct, 2021 07:37 PM

good - i'm about to download 4051 and play with it on a copy of my data.

I've been unable to test for about a month, but I'm tired of unpacking from my move, so think it might be fun to play and see for myself; my message though represented what I've been reading about the previews since 4040.

7. 37 Posted by dtd on 10 Oct, 2021 07:39 PM

I also wasn't planning to use MD+, but with Schwab turning off the lights on the proxy server, I guess I'll have to do so, and yes, I know investments aren't in place yet.

I also want to see if my fixed USAA direct connect continues to work.

Also, I know about the $2 (or $5)/ month charge, but is that fixed no matter how many accounts you have? I have, combining checking/savings/credit card/investments probably over 50 accounts.

8. 38 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Oct, 2021 07:41 PM

It’s a fixed monthly charge. IK are taking the gain/risk on that.

9. 39 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Oct, 2021 07:42 PM

@dtd. The ofx stuff should be largely unchanged and still work ok.

10. 40 Posted by jerry on 11 Oct, 2021 12:09 PM

silly question but I have connect all my accounts except Sams Club and capital one. When will they be added to moneydance+?

How do you download/sync your transactions from the accounts connected. When I click on download online accounts, it does nothing.

11. 41 Posted by avp2 on 11 Oct, 2021 03:19 PM

There is a difference between "syncing" and downloading transactions. I don't use syncing, but think that is when you sync multiple data files using a Dropbox, or similar file store, master copy.

If you do not get at least a download message for an/each account (in the status bottom line of the MD window) when you click "Download all accounts" or "Download transactions" (with an account selected) in MD's online menu, online download is setup wrong. For MD+/Plaid, you have to have setup and agreed to subscribe (14 day free trial). For OFX, you setup as always, but your institution also has to offer OFX and have it turned on for your account. Not all institutions offer OFX and many are not free. MD+ also does not work with all institutions, but accesses the transactions using the institution's online user access web site, vs OFX, which more institutions support. I use it for US Bank which also has OFX support, but which I have turned off (a year ago) as too expensive for the service. MD+ also does Elan which provides my Mechanics Bank VISA and does not offer OFX for that card.

12. 42 Posted by bschottmi on 12 Oct, 2021 01:51 AM

Any idea when investment accounts will be supported? That is the main reason I switched to MD+ and the preview release. Had I know investment accounts were not supported I would have waited to start MD+ until they were supported.
    Note: I am on build 4054
    Also when I go to "Setup MD" in the Accounts tab, I have Charles Schwab listed twice. with my accounts listed under both. Both also have a status of Connected.
    Do I need to get rid of one of the? If so, How??
    If I click Refresh, nothing happens.
    I see a note that the "Match Onllne Accounts" screen is not needed. But my Advisor Managed TD Ameritrade account still works the "old way". Those are the only accounts I download.
    I guess I'm just a bit confused and waiting for things to settle down and have investment accounts supported.

13. 43 Posted by dtd on 12 Oct, 2021 01:57 AM

just a user - I am also in the "when will investment accounts be supported" camp.

And, yes, that's why I haven't started MD+, but am testing the 4054 version (finally).

If you aren't using MD+ (I am not yet) the Match Online Accounts screen is essential, not "not needed"

Things haven't settled down yet.

14. 44 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Oct, 2021 08:20 AM

@bschottmi you click on the right hand side where it says connected and then disconnect one of the dups. Wait. Then click refresh.

15. 45 Posted by aaustin on 12 Oct, 2021 02:11 PM

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I have accounts that I have been downloading with OFX for years. And if I move to Moneydance+ what do I do? Do I disable online banking for those first? And will I get duplicates when Moneydance+ starts to work? Been looking in the forums and articles, but did not see a place where it outlines how to make the move. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

16. 46 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Oct, 2021 02:22 PM

Depends if you want to (pay extra) and use MD+? If not, do nothing. If you do then I would disable each first, and then setup MD+

(not support, just a fellow user)

17. 47 Posted by aaustin on 12 Oct, 2021 02:25 PM

Yep, I already signed up for MD+, so wanting more detail about how to go forward. Will I get duplicates when MD+ kicks in? Just basically was looking for more detailed information on how to make the switch...

18. 48 Posted by davet65 on 12 Oct, 2021 02:31 PM

I second aaustin's request for help!

I will wait for things to settle down, and just wait to download Schwab transactions. But when that happens, can we have a To Do list of how to transition from OFX download via Moneydance to MD+ ? And will MD+ allow getting transactions from banks/credit cards that didn't allow direct, and instead I had to use web downloads of QFX/OFX files direct from their website?

And a related question: What about the accounts that currently work with OFX? Is the expectation that ALL will eventually go to MD+ / Plaid type connection? And others even drop OFX web download from their website?

19. 49 Posted by Dan P on 12 Oct, 2021 02:35 PM

DaveT65
    will MD+ allow getting transactions from banks/credit cards that didn't allow direct, and instead I had to use web downloads of QFX/OFX files direct from their website? YES, if they are supported by Plaid.

Is the expectation that ALL will eventually go to MD+ / Plaid type connection? And others even drop OFX web download from their website? I think the expectation is YES, but MD will support OFX as long as it works.

(Just a user)

20. 50 Posted by Dan P on 12 Oct, 2021 03:01 PM

21. 51 Posted by davet65 on 12 Oct, 2021 03:14 PM

Dan P & Stuart Beasley,

Thanks for the prompt, and complete/concise, answers.

I see the link to the knowledge base tutorial. It seems pretty straightforward [given the detailed instructions :-) ], so i'll give it a try soon. Schwab is the only account that is immediately affected, and I can wait to update my transactions.

Thanks again. This forum has enabled me to stay with Moneydance!

22. 52 Posted by aaustin on 12 Oct, 2021 03:35 PM

Dan P - Thanks for that link, it was helpful!

One question for the MD team. I have one credit card company, where I have 3 credit cards with them, and they come in to the MD+ interface without any detail, so I can't tell which is which to match to the right account.

23. Support Staff 53 Posted by Maddy on 12 Oct, 2021 03:49 PM

@aaustin

In the new version Moneydance 2022 (4055) you can use the feature Online->Match Online Accounts

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

24. 54 Posted by aaustin on 12 Oct, 2021 07:37 PM

@Maddy - Thanks, I see that, but how do I use that when I am setting up online banking in MD+? I just see my bank, and the three accounts and no numbers, so I can't match the right account to the right card without guessing.

Also when setting this up I did not get the option to pick the date from when i wanted to import, so it imported all history.

25. 55 Posted by dtd on 12 Oct, 2021 09:51 PM

@aaustin - i've created a separate thread on "match accounts as a guessing game" as this seriously impacts me as I have multiple banks with multiple numbers with multiple logins, so this would be very problematic for me.

You may want to add your message to this thread as it is a particular issue thread vs. a generic "MD+ issue".

26. 56 Posted by JB on 19 Oct, 2021 08:22 PM

I have ver 4056. I've subscribed to and set up MD+. My Schwab Bank and Schwab & Co. accounts seem to be matched to the correct online account numbers. I then go to one of the Schwab accounts in MD, click DOWNLOAD (ACCT NAME) TRANSACTIONS, but nothing happens. I says "downloading". I know there are new transactions since 10/1, the lartest on my MD.

What's wrong?

27. 57 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Oct, 2021 08:43 PM

What does help/console say?
    Do you still have ofx Direct connections mapped too? If so, disable these…

28. 58 Posted by JB on 19 Oct, 2021 09:33 PM

I opened the console window, and there is ALOT of stuff in it that I don't understand.

I went to Schwab Invertor Checking acct, >>Set up online banking>> disable.Then tried downloading again and it takes me to the Schwab log on page. I try to log on and it goes nowhere and quickly give a timeout message. that's as far as I can go.

29. 59 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Oct, 2021 09:38 PM

Install toolbox extension. Advanced mode. Online banking menu. Select delete ofx banking profile and delete Schwab.

Then run cleanup banking links.

Then edit the Schwab accounts (tools/accounts) and remove the Schwab download url.

Then try md+ download again.

Then if it fails, post your console log here.

30. 60 Posted by JB on 19 Oct, 2021 10:17 PM

Followed you instructions but still no dowbloaded transactions. The console window is attached.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac