Chase checking acct INVALID ID/PASSWORD

roespan143

21 Dec, 2021 07:39 PM

Long time MD user with multiple Chase accounts. I have a new account and while trying to set up online banking I repeatedly get INVALID ID/PASSWORD error despite using the same credentials that allow access via the Chase website. Using current Mac OS on current MacBook Pro.

I went to Chase and all is ok on their end. I have changed passwords a couple times with no joy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
roespan143

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 22 Dec, 2021 12:05 AM

Hi roespan143,

Your old password may still be in use from within Moneydance.

Something that you could try if you haven't done so already...

Open Moneydance to the account in question.
    From the Moneydance menu bar, go to Online > Forget Online Passwords.

I'm not 100% sure if this will cause Moneydance to forget ALL of your passwords or just the one for the account you are opened to - be prepared for the worst.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by roespan143 on 22 Dec, 2021 01:20 AM

Thanks Kevin N. Brilliant suggestion, sadly it didn’t work. I was super excited to try it though! Of note, it does “forget” all account passwords (but no biggie).

Thanks,
    roespan143

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 22 Dec, 2021 01:57 AM

Just a thought but the new account has been enable for Direct Connect (online application banking) hasn't it. With some banks you have to do it for each account.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Dec, 2021 02:39 AM

If a recent version of MD, then install/run Toolbox extension. Online Banking Menu. View your installed service profiles... See what data has been remembered for what profile.. If you can see the wrong password there, shout?

5. 5 Posted by roespan143 on 22 Dec, 2021 04:46 PM

Thanks Stuart, I installed Toolbox, and followed your suggestions. I dont see the account in question listed at all, which I assume is a good thing - i.e. there is no ‘wrong’ password for an account that doesnt’ exist.

Any other suggestions/advice much appreciated.

DWG, This is a Chase checking account, and I dont’ find anything on the Chase app asking for enabling Direct Connect. I was at my local branch and had them do their own diagnostics which showed no faults. Again, I can log into the account via the Chase website with no problems. I just can’t connect to MD.

thanks,
    roespan143

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Dec, 2021 05:53 PM

Have you enabled OFX downloads (or 'quicken' access) on this new account with the bank?

Are you sure the 'wrong' password does not appear in the toolbox output anywhere?

You could always try deleting the whole connection profile and starting again?

Perhaps go to Menu>Console. KEEP CONSOLE OPEN.. Try again.. Post the console output here as an attached txt file.

7. 7 Posted by -Kevin N. on 22 Dec, 2021 06:21 PM

Hi roespan143,

To check if you've authorized desktop software access to your new account log on to the Chase website for the account in question.

On the blue header bar near the top of the screen, click on 'Security & privacy'.
    In the resulting screen, scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Desktop Software'.

8. 8 Posted by Robert H on 04 Jan, 2022 08:15 PM

Kevin N's advice worked for me- I couldn't get transaction downloads working for my Chase card. I'd missed the 'Desktop Software' link, which was off the bottom of the screen in the 'Security & Privacy' area on chase.com. Once I set that, it was easy peasy. Thanks, Kevin!

9. 9 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2022 01:53 PM

Hi Robert H,

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things working.

Thank you for reporting back with your results.

10. 10 Posted by roespan143 on 05 Jan, 2022 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone. My case is different in that I’m trying to enable online banking for a Chase Business checking account. Following the suggestions given for enabling “desktop software” leads me to an “offer” to pay $9.95 per month to access the account. WTF? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

roespan143

11. 11 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2022 06:12 PM

Hi roespan143,

Yep, if I remember correctly Chase Business accounts do not fall under free direct-connect access accounts.

I suppose it goes without saying that this is a Chase matter and not a Moneydance one.

A small consolation, but you should still be able to manually d/l and import your Chase data.

12. 12 Posted by roespan143 on 05 Jan, 2022 06:22 PM

Kevin N,
    Thank you for confirming. I’ll reach out to chase (again - they didn’t mention this tidbit during my last convo).

Roespan143

Sent from my iPhone

13. System closed this discussion on 06 Apr, 2022 06:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac