Downloads with little in "Description" field and most info in "memo"

Bob

18 Aug, 2022 07:25 PM

This seems to be new over the last few months.

Previously, downloads from banks and credit cards put the information in "Description" and little if anything in memo.

Now there is minimal information in Description -- sometimes not even enough to identify the vendor (e.g., "Market") and then long entry in memo with key information as well as a bunch I at least don't want.

I then see only two alternatives to
-- consolidate the information manually into Description and delete Memo
      • takes a lot of time
-- commit to a print format that puts every entry on two lines
      • makes data review and listing much longer and more difficult to read / scan

Is there anyway to make the download automatically put everything in Description?
At least then as long as the key info was near the front one could simply limit the space for the field.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 18 Aug, 2022 10:53 PM

just a user

Unfortunately, MD has to deal with what the bank gives it, and to start trying to tweak the data given would also result in complaints - as each person has different needs.

So, what the bank gives is what MD provides. Sadly, as you point out, the quality of information has deteriorated significantly.

And different banks are providing different information, some better, most worse.

I tend to enter a lot of info manually, so a merge doesn't "hurt me", though empty fields are sometimes filled with strange data.

2. 2 Posted by Bob on 29 Aug, 2022 02:15 AM

It has been 10 days since I posted and I have not had a response from Infinite Kind. I would appreciate a response.

Thank you.

Bob

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 29 Aug, 2022 02:31 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I do not see that TIK can really add anything to the response dtd gave.

There is no ability in Moneydance for the user to manipulate what data ends up in what fields. If the Financial institution says this is the Memo data then that is where it ends up, the same with Description.

4. System closed this discussion on 28 Nov, 2022 02:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac