Acorns investment transactions duplicated

Marcus

27 Aug, 2022 11:01 AM

Some transactions for my Acorns investment account downloaded by Moneydance+ get downloaded twice. Looking at the transaction details there are differences in the following fields:
- 0.id
- dtentered
- id
- ol.orig-txn:
   - "fitxnid"
   - "orig_data"
- ol_fi_id
- ol_fitid
- ts

Obviously there are so may differences that Moneydance thinks these are separate transactions, but they are not.

Any idea how to avoid this? Running 2022.5 (4091)

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 27 Aug, 2022 05:51 PM

just a user - the issue is the fitid field(s). That is the secret sauce that tells Moneydance that the transaction is a duplicate.

If the fitid is different, Acorns is specifically telling Moneydance that these are two separate transactions (which is needed because what if you DID spend $3.22 at the same place on the same day?)

If your institution is sending this fitid difference (through MD+ to MD) there really is nothing MD can do but report it twice - because the fitid is the way to show duplication.

Now, all that said, I had this problem with USAA for a time (and in fact, it may still be an issue for USAA credit cards). Appears that USAA was using two servers that weren't in sync properly, and one download would send a transaction with one fitid, then the next download would send the transaction with a different fitid. Frustrating.

Part of my "solution" was to stop using my USAA credit card very much, and for duplicates, just left them there or deleted one of them and hoped I'd always get the same server.

For you, although you didn't say so specifically, it sounds like you get these in the same download, so I'm not sure how you'd fix that.

2. 2 Posted by Marcus on 27 Aug, 2022 06:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that the issue might be on Acorns end. I actually get the duplicates not on the same download, but on the next day. I am wondering if Acorns reports a "pending" transaction and then again once it has posted

3. 3 Posted by dtd on 27 Aug, 2022 06:54 PM

Or it could be mismatched servers like me with USAA

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 27 Aug, 2022 06:56 PM

if it IS what you describe, try deleting the older transaction (pending) and see if that takes care of the problem.

5. System closed this discussion on 26 Nov, 2022 07:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac