Tried MoneyDance++ again....

Joseph Kesselman

14 Sep, 2022 12:08 AM

... in the hope that the problems with Plaid have been fixed since I last looked.

Ran into a different problem this time: Plaid didn't like Columbia Threadneedle's two-factor authentication and said "try another account". (Not useful advice; I don't care or have access to anyone else's accounts, just my own.)

I tried to check Plaid's website, but found nothing about what forms of 2FA might be compatible or whether there was a known configuration issue with Columbia Threadneedle.

Any advice? Or should I stick with Quicken for another year?

1. 1 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 14 Sep, 2022 12:23 AM

(Websearch suggests that there *is* a known incompatibility with Fidelity, which would also be a problem since I have an account there too.)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 14 Sep, 2022 02:39 PM

Hi Joseph,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

It is likely that Plaid does not support the specific type of multi-factor authentication in place at Columbia Threadneedle.
    If your multi-factor authentication setting is configured not to remember trusted devices and instead to present a multi-factor challenge on every login attempt. This prevents Plaid from refreshing data, which many products (especially Transactions) require.

On the other hand, although Plaid links successfully with Fidelity, in order to maintain system stability, Fidelity currently limits access during high-volume windows. As a result, you can expect unavailability between 9-10:30am and 3-4:30pm ET. In fact, Plaid recommend end users link Fidelity accounts between 5pm - 9am ET.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 15 Sep, 2022 05:19 AM

Hm. Quicken's protocol successfully handles accounts set to require 2FA every
    time. Honestly, I don't like the idea of setting "always trust" for Plaid much
    more than I would the suggestion that we turn off 2FA. I do not want to
    authorize Plaid's machines to act without me in the loop. They should ask the
    bank to request confirmation from me, rather than asking me to let them bypass
    that confirmation.

The new protocol was intended to be more flexible and secure. So far it seems to
    be failing to meet those goals, and I'm not getting the impression that
    development is in progress to close those gaps.

Frustrating. 

--
      /_  Joe Kesselman (he/him/his)
    -/ _) My Alexa skill for New Music/New Sounds fans:
       /   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WJ3H657/

() Plaintext Ribbon Campaign
    /\ Stamp out HTML mail!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac