Wierd behavior - startup account downloads normal, but deleting previous transactions

jrhoward171

24 Sep, 2022 12:10 AM

Jenny:

We are experiencing a weird behavior in MoneyDance’s downloads. Our downloads are working fine (no issues with the error 2000 code). However, we are getting at least one downloaded transaction that somehow enters the register with a “Cleared Transaction” (green dot in “C” Column)?? I do balance all my accounts each month and all goes well; quick and easy now. Not only do we get this one “cleared” transaction, but the account balance goes off by the same amount as the transaction. Weird right?

I chased it down using both BofA and MoneyDance transaction search features. Apparently, during the account auto transaction download process at startup, if there is a previous transaction entered in the register for the same amount as a newly downloaded transaction, MoneyDance deletes the previous identical transaction, places a cleared green dot in the “C” column of the newly downloaded transaction, and the account balance increases by the exact same amount as the newly downloaded transaction.

For example, in BofA Online Banking, I searched for an exact amount of $17.32. BofA came back with three transactions for exactly $17.32; one on 11/01/2021; one on 07/11/2022; and one on 09/11/2022. Ah yes, Krispy Kreme purchases of a dozen donuts; $17.32. The wife love Krispy Kreme donuts.

Performed the same search in MoneyDance for exactly $17.32 looking for the same 3 transactions, right? MoneyDance only returned two of those $17.32 transactions: the 11/01/2021 and 09/11/2022 transactions. The 07/11/2022 $17.32 transaction was missing and/or deleted for some unknown reasons. Bear in mind, I balance all my accounts monthly. So, I went back to my last balanced month of August, that balance was off by $17.32 after completing this latest auto download of account transactions. I went to July’s balanced amount, and it matched BofA’s balance for the same date perfectly.

This same behavior occurred in another checking account with BofA as well. One transaction downloaded with green dot in “C” column, and a previous transaction with the same exact amount was deleted. I don’t know, but the deleted transactions were within the previous two-month time frame, or July. Weird right??

My corrections were to add back the missing transactions, and all is well again. In addition, I went back to MoneyDance File >>> Preferences >>> Network and reset the last preference: “Observe Online Payment Restrictions” >>> “Only match downloaded transactions when they are at most (I changed from Default) to 3 days apart. I don’t know if this will fix the behavior or not, but it is a quick fix if it works. Although it does say: “Payment Restrictions” leading me to believe that this preference may only apply to Online Payments??

Any thoughts as to what we can do about this weird startup account download behavior?? Maybe there is another setting I need to look at and/or change??

Thank you for your kind assistance.

John Howard

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac