Download online bill-payments entered from bank's website

B.B.

05 Mar, 2016 10:26 AM

My bank fully supports OFX Direct Connect and I usually pay bills from within Moneydance, but occasionally when I'm away from my computer I need to use my bank's website to enter a bill-pay transaction. When I used Quicken previously, the next time I downloaded to Quicken after entering a bill payment through my bank's website, Quicken would download that bill-pay transaction to my register (i.e. before it cleared). Moneydance will not do this and it's fairly irritating. Moneydance waits until the payment clears to download any information about it, so it could be days or weeks before I see it my register unless I enter it manually.

When I bring up the Online Bill Payment window in Moneydance, the transactions that I entered from my bank's website show up, but Moneydance won't enter them in my register. So, Moneydance has all the information about those transactions available to it and should be able to see that they're not in my register and offer to download them, but it doesn't (at least not until after the payment clears, then it will download it).

1. 1 Posted by Ian L on 15 Mar, 2016 04:43 PM

HI B.B,

What bank are you using? Some banks (notably Wells Fargo) do not properly integrate their web-based and server-based bill payment systems. This means that Moneydance actually doesn't get information about payments when downloading transactions until the payment has been made.

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by B.B. on 15 Mar, 2016 11:13 PM

Ian,

I've tried it with Compass Bank and Regions Bank. Regions is the one I'm interested in.

Moneydance does get the information about not-yet-paid bill payments entered on the bank's website. They show up as 'Will Process" in the Moneydance online bill-pay window when I select the Online->Online Bill Payment menu entry. Moneydance evidently just doesn't have a mechanism to compare those 'Will Process' entries to my checking register and enter them if they don't exist, so I never see them in my register until they've cleared.

Downloading those not-yet-paid bill payments to my register is a feature of Quicken that I really miss and it seems like it should be pretty similar to downloading cleared payments since the information is always downloaded for both.

Regards,
    B.B.

3. 3 Posted by Ian L on 18 Mar, 2016 12:49 PM

I see what you're saying and agree that would make a lot of sense. I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system, so the developers will be looking into it. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

4. System closed this discussion on 17 Jun, 2016 12:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac