Make Moneydance forget User ID

B.B.

06 Mar, 2016 12:34 AM

After setting up a new bank for online banking, Moneydance evidently remembers my online banking user ID and I cannot make it 'forget' this. Every time I quit Moneydance and restart it and then start a new online download, the Online Banking Authentication window pops up with my User ID already filled in. I do not want it to do this. I use a password manager to manage all of my usernames and passwords and I don't want Moneydance remembering this.

I've tried everything I can think of to make Moneydance forget the user ID. I tried with and without setting a Master Password, setting and unsetting 'Store Online Passwords in File', clearing the User ID field and restarting, even giving an incorrect User ID and restarting. Nothing works. Moneydance brings up the original User ID every single time no matter what I do. Is this information stored somewhere that I can access and delete it?

1. 1 Posted by David Hanley on 06 Mar, 2016 12:41 AM

Hi,

Can you please verify the exact build version of Moneydance you are running? To do this run Moneydance and from the menu bar select Help->Console Window... Then copy and paste the output of the console window to this discussion.

Thanks!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by B.B. on 06 Mar, 2016 06:35 AM

I've tried 2015.6 (1299) and 2015.7 (1353). Most of my testing was on 1299. I only briefly messed around with 1353 so I haven't tried all the experiments I listed above on it.

3. 3 Posted by B.B. on 06 Mar, 2016 08:12 AM

As for the console window, if you could let me know which experiment you want to see, I'll attach one. There's a ton of personal information in there that I'll have to redact before posting so it's a lot of work.

4. 4 Posted by Ian L on 07 Mar, 2016 03:50 PM

Hi BB,

There isn't a way currently to have Moneydance automatically forget the ID. You can clear it using the "Online->Forget Online Passwords" menu option, but hey will be remembered again the next time you log in. Your best bet would be to use that menu item before you shutdown Moneydance each time.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thanks for using Moneydance.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

5. Ian L closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2016 03:50 PM.

6. B.B. re-opened this discussion on 07 Mar, 2016 08:21 PM

7. 5 Posted by B.B. on 07 Mar, 2016 08:21 PM

Ian,

Forget Online Passwords only forgets the password, not the User ID. The password has never been a problem, it always correctly forgets that.

Alternatively, is there a way to remember all User ID's (and not passwords)? The problem is that I have one new account that now remembers its User ID (but, correctly, not its password), but none my other online-activated accounts do this. All the other accounts forget both password and User ID. This inconsistency is making things difficult for the password manager that I use.

This new account is the first online account that does this so I suspect the problem was introduced in one of the later revisions of Moneydance. I've been using Moneydance for a long time.

B.B.

8. 6 Posted by Ian L on 08 Mar, 2016 02:21 PM

Does that one account remember the user ID even after a restart? The ID will be remembered within one session, but should go away after restarting the program. There isn't a way to only remember IDs and not passwords.

If your file is encrypted, you could try turning off encryption, restarting Moneydance, and then turning encryption back on. That should completely clear and saved information.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 7 Posted by B.B. on 08 Mar, 2016 10:04 PM

Yes, it remembers the user ID even after a restart.

By, 'turning off encryption', I'm guessing you're talking about disabling the master password (although it looks like the data is always encrypted with or without a master password)? I turned off the master password, restarted, and the user ID was still there. I re-enabled master password, restarted, and the user ID was still there. I I also disabled online-banking for that account and re-enabled it (starting from 'New Connection', not selecting from the list of existing ones), I did a 'Refresh' of the OFX data, I did a 'Resync', etc. I do not use 'Store Passwords in File'. The user ID is always there after restarting.

10. 8 Posted by Ian L on 11 Mar, 2016 04:58 PM

I talked to our lead developer about this. I was incorrect; Moneydance does remember the user ID, and there isn't currently a way to turn that off.

It is odd that not all of your accounts are remembering IDs. Did that change at all after you did Forget Online Passwords?

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

11. 9 Posted by B.B. on 11 Mar, 2016 08:25 PM

No, Forget Online Passwords has no bearing on the user ID whatsoever.

I've been experimenting with an older account and I've found that if I disable online banking and then re-enable it, it will also start remembering the user ID like the new account that started giving me grief. I haven't yet verified that it's only online banking and not online banking plus online bill-pay together that causes it to remember the user ID since that account enables both at the same time, but it definitely appears that something has changed in Moneydance since I originally set up my older online accounts.

I would prefer that Moneydance not remember my user IDs, but if it at least remembers all of them and not just some them then I can live with that. The inconsistency is a pain when using my password manager.

Regards,
    B.B.

12. 10 Posted by Ian L on 14 Mar, 2016 03:24 PM

I checked with our lead developer, and he said that Moneydance should be remembering the IDs. That is wasn't before must have been a bug. I think your best bet is to reset all of your connections so that they are all remembering the ID. Then at least it would be consistent.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

13. System closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2016 03:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac