Totally Confusing Setup

Rick Moerloos

12 Mar, 2016 04:23 PM

I have been using Quicken 2016 Mac for the past 2 months. It keeps trashing my automatic payments and support is terrible. I bought Moneydance and it prompted me to set up a new account when first opened. I did that. It took me like 5 minutes to figure out why the Online menu items were disabled. I selected the Checking account and then the Online menu items became enabled. I then chose Setup Online Banking. It prompted me for my bank, Boeing Employee's Credit Union, asked for the account, routing, and customer id. Then it said it had everything it needed to contact my bank. When I click on the Download All Accounts menu item, it says there's nothing to download. This software is so confusing, so I'm hoping your support is far better than Quicken.

1. 1 Posted by David Hanley on 12 Mar, 2016 06:03 PM

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear that you've been unable to establish the connection. Could you send me the contents of your error console?  Here's how to get the logs:

1)  In Moneydance, click on the Help menu and select the Console Window option.  This will open the console messages window.
    2) While the Console Window is open, attempt to connect to your bank.  Any error messages should be recorded to the Console.
    3) Select all of the text in the Console and use the "Copy to Clipboard" button at the bottom to copy the text.
    4) Paste the text from the message window into a text file (preferably saved with a .txt extension) and attach that file to your response here.

The debugging logs that this produces will contain your account information.  I've made sure that this conversation is private, so the info won't be broadcast to the world, but just to be safe you should redact any account info in the debug logs.  Just replace it with something like "ACCOUNT NUMBER HERE" and it should be fine.

Thanks!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Rick Moerloos on 13 Mar, 2016 12:52 AM

Hi David,

I deleted everything and started over, taking a screencast in the process: http://1drv.ms/1pfZkaj

Log is attached.

Note that I clipped out the part where I type in the routing number, account number, and customer id. On this screen, the two checkboxes were disabled and I couldn’t click on Bill Payment or Online Banking, but I could continue to the last page telling me Moneydance had enough info.

Not a great experience starting out.

Rick

3. 3 Posted by David Hanley on 13 Mar, 2016 11:54 AM

Hi Rick,

Strangely I'm not able to recreate the SSL Handshake error that you're seeing when you first attempt to create the connection, I'm able to pass directly through to the authentication screen. I've attached a screencast where I've attempted to recreate your steps.

Could you try installing this preview build version of Moneydance to see if it resolves your problem? This is the same build that I used for this process:

http://infinitekind.com/preview

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me with any questions about this process!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by David Hanley on 13 Mar, 2016 12:03 PM

Rick

I'm afraid my screencast has failed to attach, and attempts to re-upload it are failing! Nonetheless, I loaded the build which you are using (build 1299) and managed to successfully recreate the issue you're experiencing. I've double-checked and confirmed that it is not present in the latest preview.

If you're still unable to successfully establish your connection after updating to the preview build, please let us know and we will work to resolve the issue.

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Rick Moerloos on 13 Mar, 2016 03:50 PM

Hi David,

With this preview build, it now prompts me for my username and password without any errors. Seems to be working now.

Thanks!

Rick

6. 6 Posted by David Hanley on 13 Mar, 2016 05:48 PM

Rick,

Great to hear you're up and running, please feel free to contact us for any additional support!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

7. David Hanley closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2016 05:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac