Moneydance needs to be downloaded repeatedly for use

Bill Harrigan

10 Mar, 2022 12:33 AM

I have used Moneydance for years, recently purchased a new iMac and downloaded and purchased it for my use on my new device. It installed as usual however after using and placing in the dock clicking the icon never works, every time I open Moneydance it won’t load and I have to re-download. The new program finds my file and opens with all the information intact including my license key, but it won’t save and run on my computer.
Please let me know what I’m doing wrong, I should be able to just launch from the applications folder or dock.

Bill Harrigan.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 11 Mar, 2022 03:27 PM

Hi Bill,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac)

Can you let me know which operating system you're running on your computer?

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 21 Mar, 2022 11:56 PM

I am using Moneydance 2022.2 (4060). (I had to download it again from https://moneydance.coms <https://moneydance.coms/> to see what I have been using, I can never just open it but rather need to repeatedly download, the installed versions work a few times then don’t.
    I am running this on Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.2. I may upgrade to Monterey but have been waiting for bugs to sort out.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 22 Mar, 2022 11:27 AM

We would recommend downloading Moneydance 2022.3 (4063) from this page. This version includes the latest fixes and some improvements.

You should be prompted to move the file from your Downloads folder to your Applications folder.

You may be prompted to replace the existing version of Moneydance.
    If not, you should manually remove any older versions of the program.
    You should then navigate to your Applications folder, where you can remove any older versions of Moneydance that remain installed. Simply delete any older copies of the program. You might want to also check your Downloads folder, in case Moneydance has been accidentally installed here, and remove any older copies from this folder too.

It might be useful to re-name the newest version of Moneydance to Moneydance 2022.3 (4063), to be easier to find. (Changing the application name won't effect the program or its functionality).

You'll also need to reconfigure the Moneydance shortcut in your Dock.
    To do this 'right click' (or press Ctrl and click) on the Moneydance icon in your Dock and choose Options, then disable 'Keep in Dock'.

Then open the newest version of Moneydance from within your Applications folder. Once running, 'right click' (or press Ctrl and click) on the Moneydance icon in your Dock and choose Options --> Keep in Dock.

Please keep us posted on your progress, thank you!

--

4. 4 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 22 Mar, 2022 11:09 PM

OK, I’ve reinstalled this beta version, will let you know how it goes thanks.

5. 5 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 23 Mar, 2022 10:23 PM

Ugh.

I successfully downloaded and installed the new version. Its always the same - downloads fine and finds the old files fine. When I go to open the next day, nothing, it won’t.

I did delete old versions from the applications folder. Is there somewhere I need to go to delete previous versions completely? This is soooo frustrating, was never a problem with my previous Mac and I used the free version for a decade. On my new computer because this kept happening I chose to pay for it, and it just doesn’t stay usable.

Thanks for your help.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Maddy on 24 Mar, 2022 11:31 AM

Could you check if your data file/s are stored in the default location?

Also, can you send us your Moneydance error logs? The logs should include information about what might be causing the problem.

They are saved on your computer as an errlog.txt file.

You can get to your error logs as follow:

1) navigate to Help->Console Window to show the console log in a window

or

2) in the Finder, press ⌘⇧G and then copy and paste ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support into the field and press enter/return.

At that point the finder will show an internal folder which contains the errlog.txt file which contains the log.

Finally you can paste the full content to your next reply.

Thank you

--

7. 7 Posted by William Harriga... on 25 Mar, 2022 05:17 PM

Thank you Maddy, I’m away for a couple of weeks will tackle this when I’m back.
    Bill

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Maddy on 28 Mar, 2022 08:24 AM

Thank you for letting us know, Bill.

We will keep this thread open for you.

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

9. 9 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 06 Apr, 2022 05:17 PM

Maddy,

I’m back and can work on this until we find a solution. Moneydance is again not available, it shows int the doc with a “?” over it and the link in the applications folder doesn’t work.

So, I can’t access Moneydance error logs from the Help tab because the program is missing again. In Finder where was I to copy and paste the link? I did it under “search” and nothing came up, was there someplace else to put it?

I can again download Moneydance and try these steps but seems there won’t be any error notices on a new download. I do allow Moneydance to install in the default location. When I open Applications in Finder Moneydance is no longer there.

Bill

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Maddy on 07 Apr, 2022 09:46 AM

In the System Preferences - Big Sur, could you navigate to the General section and to Prefer tabs [always] when opening documents. Can you change "always" to never or "in full screen"?

--

11. 11 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 07 Apr, 2022 07:53 PM

This is the current setting in Big Sur, there was nothing to change.

12. 12 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 07 Apr, 2022 08:22 PM

Mandy,

I downloaded Money Dance again and have this information however it is from the new download installed which always finds my old files and uses previous stored information.
    This is from the new download:

Data files seem to be stored in the default location but I’m not really sure from your email how to confirm that. When I click on Help and open Show Documents Folder it does show Moneydance.moneydance in the Documents folder.

Here are the error logs, taken from the new download:

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Maddy on 08 Apr, 2022 10:01 AM

1) The default location file location on macOS Big Sur is:
    /Users//Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Documents

2) To add an attachment to this thread you should click on Browse - unfortunately your error log didn't come through, please can you send it again?

--

14. 14 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 12 Apr, 2022 12:58 AM

Maddy,

I don’t know how to navigate to /Users//Library…etc. In Finder, it shows only my computer home WRH (my initials), there is no /Users, where would I go to find that?

I copied and pasted the error log in the body of the email, sorry it didn’t come through let me try again:

> Starting Moneydance 2022.3 (4068) at Thu Apr 07 13:58:30 MDT 2022
    > Settings Folder: /Users/WRH/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance
    > OS: Mac OS X 11.6.2 x86_64
    > Java: 17.0.2 (Eclipse Adoptium)
    > Is in sandbox: true; restricted file access: false
    > Library path: /private/var/folders/rt/pt4kz09j0hjfqq9gytxv7n_m0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A895E8FA-CBAD-4F32-B6C5-9C12162D184E/d/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS:/private/var/folders/rt/pt4kz09j0hjfqq9gytxv7n_m0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A895E8FA-CBAD-4F32-B6C5-9C12162D184E/d/Moneydance.app/Contents/PlugIns/vm.jdk/Contents/Home/lib
    > initialized extension moneyforesight in 0.162 seconds
    > outdated extension: yahooqt
    > Initializing fonts:
    > default: [[SF Pro Display, SF Display, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Lucida Grande, Dialog]]
    > printing: [[Helvetica, SF Pro Display, SF Display, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Lucida Grande, Dialog]]
    > monospaced: [[Gill Sans, Menlo, Monaco, Monospaced]]
    > coding: [[Hack, Monospaced]]
    > fonts resolved:
    > default: SF Pro Display:13.0:style0
    > mono: Gill Sans:13.0:style0
    > coding: Hack:13.0:style0
    > print: Helvetica:12.0:style0
    > header: SF Pro Display:15.0:style0
    > register: SF Pro Display:12.0:style0
    > reportTitle: SF Pro Display:32.0:style0
    > calendarTitle: SF Pro Display:12.0:style0
    > reportHeader: SF Pro Display:11.0:style0
    > detailTitle: SF Pro Display:15.0:style0
    > detected system appearance: org.violetlib.vappearances.VAppearanceImpl@3012646b
    > detected system appearance: org.violetlib.vappearances.VAppearanceImpl@3012646b
    > Setting look and feel class to org.violetlib.aqua.AquaLookAndFeel
    > opening last file: Moneydance
    > loading dataset: /Users/WRH/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents/Moneydance.moneydance
    > loading with 128 bit encryption key
    > reading trunk data tiksync/trunk
    > trunk data loaded (0.174 seconds), checking for incremental updates
    > loading un-synced txn files...
    > loading synced txn files...
    > replacing root: null () with new root: My Finances (2852f8c5-9296-4751-9df5-051af6856ae3
    > ICloudContainer.isContainerAvailable(): nativeGetICloudPath: /Users/WRH/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~infinitekind~moneydancesync
    > VAQUA: system appearance did change
    > VAQUA: applying updated theme: mac_dark_mode
    > Setting look and feel class to org.violetlib.aqua.AquaLookAndFeel
    > Java version: 1700002
    > Update info received with successful signature verification
    > Version info retrieved; we are up to date!

Let me know if this doesn’t work I’ll try another way.

Bill

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Maddy on 12 Apr, 2022 09:50 AM

Thank you for the additional information, Bill!

The question mark usually appears when the original location of the app has been moved.
    Could you try to re-download the application and transfer it to your applications folder?
    The program will initially appear in your Downloads folder, and I'd recommend moving it from here to your Applications folder.
    Could you check both these locations for any other copies of Moneydance? You can simply remove any other versions.
    You can 'right click' on the ? icon you're seeing in the Dock, and select Options --> Remove from Dock.
    After moving the newest version of Moneydance to the Applications folder, can you try to open it from here. When open 'right click' on the Moneydance icon in the Dock and select Options --> Keep in Dock. This should retain the Moneydance icon going forward.

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

16. 16 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 15 Apr, 2022 07:00 PM

Mandy,

When I download Moneydance I do it as I do all programs, it downloads to the download folder then Open the program, drag the icon to the applications folder and open it there, I always have. I’ll try downloading the file and dragging it to applications in Finder before opening to see if that changes anything, but I’ve never had to do that with any other downloaded file.

I do have Moneydance files that live in my documents folder, not sure why but I’ve always been afraid to delete these as my historical data is somewhere and it would be a tragedy for that to go missing?

These files have dates attached and are Moneydance.md files, such as Moneydance.md-2021-02-19. They are all old dates from 2003 through 2019.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Maddy on 19 Apr, 2022 09:45 AM

This file format: FileName.Date.Moneydancearchive refers to Auto Backups created using old versions of Moneydance such as 2010 up to 2014.

If for any reason you want to open any of these files in the current version of Moneydance, you would have to amend the file name to ‘FileName.md’ then open using File —> Import or ‘Import New Account Set’ from the Welcome window.

--

18. 18 Posted by Bill Harrigan on 27 Apr, 2022 08:38 PM

Mandy,

My problem continues. Moneydance continues to require repeated downloads, it works for a while and then it stops working. The only thing that changed is I purchased a new computer, and purchased money dance.

Any new ideas?

Bill

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Maddy on 28 Apr, 2022 09:26 AM

Can you try upgrading to the latest preview version, as this should hopefully fix the problem for you?
    Moneydance 2022.3 (4073) is now available to download from this page.

You should choose to overwrite the previous version and ensure Moneydance is fully closed during the installation.

--

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac