License renewals

tonyt

26 May, 2024 07:50 PM

Seems to me with all the confusion going on here in various threads there needs to be a rethink on how upgrades are…
A. Advertised
B. Handled
If all was good, there would be no confusion or problem, or is it just folk not reading the small print? If that is the case, the print needs to be bigger!

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 26 May, 2024 08:12 PM

This policy on renewals has been around for years.

The issue, I think, is that users are told so many things by companies on purchasing - i.e. now we do a subscription, not a purchase... now we do a purchase, but you MUST upgrade every year, and we sunset your purchase so you either stop using the software or pay, and so on.

Personally, I think MD/IK has a very liberal upgrade policy --- license good forever, for the version purchased and one major upgrade, followed by a heavily discounted upgrade that is also good for two years, AND you never have to upgrade - some are still using 2017 or earlier...

The problem is that as things have changed with OTHER companies, users misinterpret (more than they used to) the licensing policy. They think their purchase is good for "upgrades forever, I never have to pay again - how dare you EVER charge me again to upgrade"...

They also see a new version, download it, and expect it to magically work even if their license doesn't extend that far.

Users also download a trial, like it, buy it, are sent a license key, but never enter it, again "it's magic" (and some companies do have programming to make the users need to do nothing)

So, basically, the confusion and problem is the multiple ways purchases, subscriptions, upgrades are handled these days by multiple companies.

As to rethinking how upgrades are advertised and handled, I personally think the policy is longstanding and liberal, but that some users are no longer reading or understanding the upgrade policies and assume it must be like whatever they perceive it "should" be.

That's hard to fix.

2. 2 Posted by dw-uk on 26 May, 2024 10:57 PM

Although I've only contributed to the forums recently, I've been lurking and absorbing for several years. I've been a user since MD2007.

I have been taken aback at the surge in these postings in recent weeks. Yes, the 2024.0 upgrade entitlement checking error didn't help; but we should be over that hump by now, and the rate of 'issues' still seems to be increasing.

My thoughts have meandered along similar ground to both of you.

Several times I've started to reply to a post, and then thought 'how possibly can you not understand that you need to enter your licence into the software?' or 'what planet are you on if you think $50 (or £, or whatever) paid 3 years ago gives you a lifetime 'subscription' to all future upgrades of a commercial product?. And then I've tried to put myself in the mindset of someone who has been completely taken in by the Software as a Service con(cept). At that point I often fail, give up, and delete what I've started typing.

But sometimes I do get it. If you accept that both expectations and the effort people are prepared to put in have changed over the years, the website does a bad job at steering people unambiguously through the process. Yes, the information is there, but it requires some kind of effort to find. Some concrete examples:

The product is advertised as having a free trial; someone clicks on Download, and the first thing they see is a purchase price and a link to pay that. My impression from multiple posts is that a significant number of people think they need to pay before they can download (hence the number of refund requests); there was also one just today saying that there was only a link to download the full-price product, not the upgrade version. Similarly, there was one a day or so ago saying they could not find the free demo download, only the paid download. I wonder how many have got to that point and just walked away?

To my mind, the download page should very clearly state at the top that there is only one download (per platform) for all purposes: free trial, upgrade, re-install. It should also very clearly state the basic licence philosophy of perpetual licence with one free upgrade. The link to the Purchase page should be at the end, and that page should re-iterate the same message. None of that information is there. Yes, it is in the Knowledge Base, but it is clear from numerous posts that some long-term users have no idea what that is (though they do often know about the 2015 pdf manual). I do actually think it unreasonable to expect a new/prospective user to go looking for such basic info.

Just some thoughts to throw into the pot.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac